(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internal cable clamps and old wiring

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
    Mike, all I can say is I have proven you wrong more than once on this site, so you can feel any way you want towards me, I am a PROFESSIONAL electrician, but I also live in the real world, not la-la land.

I have never said that I am perfect and yes I do buy pencils with erasers on them but when it comes to telling someone to slide a piece of PVC sheathing where there was fabric sheathing is far from professional.

To even suggest replacing a piece of sheathing over the conductors is nothing short of criminal and there is nothing professional about it except those who want to be remembered as a professional %$&#*@

3M and many others have heatshrink tubing and wrap-around repair kits for ranges of voltages exceeding 1000 Volts. Many meet UL 224 requirements for cable jacketing. They can certainly be used safely to replace or repair jacketing on NM cable without risk of burning the house down.

http://www.intertech-eng.com.au/publ...tion_Guide.pdf

http://www.electriciantalk.com/showthread.php?t=31

http://www.ablewire-cable.com/tables/165.html

http://www.dsgcanusa.com/products/pr...lowvoltage.htm

http://www.portplastics.com/pec/heat...umisleeve.html

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/toc...=s&fn=0224.toc

http://www.alcomet.net/pdf/heatshrink.pdf

To even suggest replacing a piece of sheathing over the conductors is nothing short of criminal
    What can POSSIBLY happen?

Use your imagination and stretch it to the limit. I could be wrong but I am drawing a blank on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alectrician View Post

Use your imagination and stretch it to the limit. I could be wrong but I am drawing a blank on this one.

I'm not going to argue this one anymore, Mike is entitled to his opinion. I think I will start this thread on Mike Holts forum just for giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
    3M and many others have heatshrink tubing and wrap-around repair kits for ranges of voltages exceeding 1000 Volts. Many meet UL 224 requirements for cable jacketing. They can certainly be used safely to replace or repair jacketing on NM cable without risk of burning the house down.

Budweiser makes one hell of a beer can and with a couple of hose clamps it makes a real good coupling for EMT also.

We all know that duck tape will hold a hood on at 200MPH so why not use a little duck tape to hold electrical things in place.

Just where did Joe go? No wonder he deleted the whole forum if this is the type of advice that was being given out by the members.

Just what do you teach your children? Is not right, right and wrong, wrong?

I'm not going to argue this one anymore, Mike is entitled to his opinion. I think I will start this thread on Mike Holts forum just for giggles.

I just looked and didn't find your post. Are you going to post a link here to it?

Well are ye or ain’t ye

Three hours later and still not done. Are you scared to make the post?
    Last edited by jwelectric; 09-06-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Heh heh.....Can't answer the question huh? The question wasn't about beer cans or duct tape. Try again. Use your imagination but stick to cable sheath.

Just what do you teach your children? Is not right, right and wrong, wrong?
    I teach my children to think for themselves. All I can offer is guidance.

Right is relative, NOT absolute. Dude, I barely made it thru high school and I know that much. If you have any ability to read and comprehend you would have at least acknowledged the points I've made showing this to be true.

Here is another question to skirt. Jesus is right according to Christians, Allah is right according to Muslims. Which is actually right?

Heh heh.....Can't answer the question huh? The question wasn't about beer cans or duct tape. Try again. Use your imagination but stick to cable sheath.

I teach my children to think for themselves. All I can offer is guidance.

Right is relative, NOT absolute. Dude, I barely made it thru high school and I know that much. If you have any ability to read and comprehend you would have at least acknowledged the points I've made showing this to be true.

Here is another question to skirt. Jesus is right according to Christians, Allah is right according to Muslims. Which is actually right?
    There is nothing that you have said that comes clsoe to being code compliant therefore nothing to address.

I sure hope that as you teach your children to think for theirself you also teach them right from wrong.

I hope that you can answer the second question for yourself. If you can't then may the Great Spirit have mercey on your soul.

I think I will start this thread on Mike Holts forum just for giggles.
    four hours and still waiting

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    four hours and still waiting
    Get you panties out of a bunch, I had to go on a trouble call, seems like someone added some sheath and caught the wall on fire, guess you were right after all.

Get you panties out of a bunch, I had to go on a trouble call, seems like someone added some sheath and caught the wall on fire, guess you were right after all.

Hope that no one was hurt by this hack type of installation

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Hope that no one was hurt by this hack type of installation
    Mike, you know I respect you, I just dont see the same view on this matter, but thats fine also.

After some discussion with the electrical inspector and homeowner we have decided that a little black tape and some heat shrink could fix this problem.

On the interior of the building we will slip a little sheathing over the conductors and all is well.

What do you all think?

Mike, you know I respect you, I just dont see the same view on this matter, but thats fine also.
    I know but it is not as much fun as debating the points of the intent of the NEC

You're a funny guy Mike. You dodge questions better than McCain and Obama combined.

I hope that you can answer the second question for yourself.
    Of course I can but I was asking you. It was a rhetorical question anyway. I know exactly how you think.

After some discussion with the electrical inspector and homeowner we have decided that a little black tape and some heat shrink could fix this problem.
    Yeah....that is exactly what we were talking about. An inch of sheath to extend into a plasic JB. You're funny dude.

BTW..... unprotected SE cable is one of those code compliant but dangerous things. We don't even do that in the wild west. We have more common sense than to run power lines within reach of children and landscapers

The book says it's right but common sense says it's wrong.