Breaking out a 4-inch thick boiler in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

mugsymiller

Reaction score
Hi, I am pulling my hair right now. I have a 3-4 inch thick cast iron boiler taking up a lot of needed space in my basement area and I want it out!!! We have managed to get the sections broke apart , but the 4th section (about 20 inches in height)is so large that I know we will not be able to get it out of the doorway without breaking it. The sectioned parts are so heavy that I will have to have at least 3-4 big men to take it out. If anyone has any suggestions, besides a sledge, sawzall, (have tried these methods) please let me know. Every time we hit it, it slides closer and closer to my water heater and I am afraid it's going to get knocked off of the base and into it. It's quite the disaster and am desperately in need of help. Any suggestions please!

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How about hiring a guy with a torch to cut it?

Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
boiler

Do you have any idea how long it takes to cut, actually melt, cast iron with a torch? Something it wrong here. A 20" high boilet section should not be that big, and it is not solid metal so it should eventually break with a sledge hammer. Even, a 5' high by 4' wide end section would be heavy, but not impossible to move.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I've always liked using a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder with those thin cutting disks.

I've cut threw I beams and even 1 inch thick steel.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The sectioned parts are so heavy that I will have to have at least 3-4 big men to take it out.

Before doing that, have everyone involved take a very close look at your stairway. Four men at 150 lbs. each to carry a 300 lb. part would add up to nearly half a ton on two steps at about three feet apart, and a point load like that would quite possibly collapse my own basement stairs. A much better bet would be to cover the stairs with some long lumber so the heavy parts can be pulled up the stairs with a winch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks