New/updated style of valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

hutchisonb

Reaction score
I need some help. Our house is about 10 years old. We are re-flooring our powder/bath & replacing the toilet.

We had a flooring person comment that our valve behind the toilet is somehow the old type and not up to code. We are in the Seattle area (Eastside & Go Hawks). This was a comment that he made to my wife, so I don't know the details. However, he noticed the difference immediately.

I've attached a picture of our current valve... can anyone tell me what the difference is? How big of a deal is this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 273

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The picture is a bit fuzzy but is the supply tube going up to the toilet an integral part of the valve?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those are one time only valves.
If you pull and reset the toilet, that will have to be replaced.

I change out those all the time in the Seattle area.
What were the new construction plumbers thinking when they put those in?

The problem with them, is that the copper tube cracks if you attempt to move them.
No plumber will reuse one.

When we change them, we replace with the new 1/4" stops.

hutchisonb

Reaction score
Follow-up response

Hi Redwood, Terry: thanks for the responses.

I'll make sure this gets replaced then (Terry, I might be calling this week). We're trying to do most of the work in this room ourselves (especially in this economy), but I don't want to cheap out in the wrong place.

The funny thing is, this is from a "quality" builder that anyone from the Seattle area would recognize the name of. This isn't the first time I've encountered cheap parts around the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Terry is absolutely right. The first time you move these things (like to replace a fill valve), they will leak. The builder put these stupid things on every toilet and sink in the house. I've replaced all the toilet shut-offs and hoses, but haven't done the sinks yet.... always a bit tentative about getting the compression fitting tightened just right.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Ditto.

Funny thing.....on this and any other forum, plumbers universally condemn these valves. If we are lucky, we learned to ALWAYS replace them BEFORE we had a flood which would have been blamed back on us!

But they still make these. Brasscraft calls it the PlumbQwik brand. And a bunch of plumbers everywhere still put them in. I guess if the builder specs it, watchya gonna do??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
supply

They are used because they are cheap and quick to install. But they are not against any code, which makes me suspicious of a plumber who says they are. If he were a legitimate plumber he would have told them that while they are permitted, it is better to replace them before they fail. By using the code as a reason, it implies that they are trying to scare the customer into replacing them and that usually means a big bill.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It was the flooring person that stated they were not up to code. They are approved by code but pulling the toilet then reinstalling it and using the same one is definitly not advisable...

While wi are on the subject of flooring....
Are you adding additional thickness to the floor?
The closet flange is supposed to be mounted on top of the finished floor.
I would urge you to take that into consideration with your new flooring.
2 wax rings because the flange is below the level of the flooring has ruined many new floors.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Gramps was a farmer. He hated mustard weeds and would go through great pains to eradicate them. (ie: take a hoe to each and every one of 'em, blow torch them etc) These kind of valves remind me of them mustard weeds.

hutchisonb

Reaction score
Flooring

We are not adding to the thickness, we are pulling up the existing wood flooring and putting down tiling.

Thanks for the advice on the flange placement. :) This is truly not my area of expertise.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that with the new floor, you may need to do something to the toilet flange...it is supposed to be installed on TOP of the finished floor, and anchored into the subflooring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks