(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20

Thread: Radon Fan Installation

  1. #16
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    North Carolina


    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
    What matters is what the electrical inspector says. Ask your local electrical inspector and see what he says...
    The inspector being human can be mistaken just as anyone else.

    What matters is what the code says.

  2. #17
    In the Trades Bob NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    New Hampshire


    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    The inspector being human can be mistaken just as anyone else.

    What matters is what the code says.
    The code permits, because it does not prohibit, extension of a 12 AWG circuit with 14 AWG conductors as long as the overcurrent protective device is rated at 15 Amps or is changed to 15 Amps when the 14 AWG is installed.

  3. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    ...What matters is what the code says.
    Correct and the code is not just the NEC or uniform building codes. Many states have their own modifications to these codes.

    For example I live in Oregon and we have what is called the "Oregon Electrical Specialty Code". On the following link, note that it says...

    Note: The rules and table are for use with your 2008 NEC code book.

    Oregon Building Codes Division, Electrical...

    So ask your *local* inspector for your local rules...
    Last edited by Billy_Bob; 09-02-2008 at 08:26 AM.

  4. #19


    P.S. I have heard of some areas in the U.S. rural south which have no building codes! Basically you are not required to get a building permit in these areas. I don't know if that is true or not or if this would include electrical permits of not? I also heard that it is impossible to get insurance in these areas as well. I wonder why?

    So if this is true, I suppose you could do whatever you wanted in these areas.

    Then what power does a local electrical inspector have? In my area if it is new construction, after you pass the electrical inspection, they give you a little sticker to place on your main electrical service panel. The electric company WILL NOT connect your electrical service until you have that sticker!

    I know of a case where someone remodeled a commercial building in Arizona and they did not get an electrical permit. They did a lot of work - spent thousands of dollars rewiring everything... Well the electric company would not connect the electricity! I think they had to rip a lot of it out and start over.

    So go ahead and argue with the inspector, but your not getting your power turned on if new construction (and you are not doing what the local inspector wants).

  5. #20


    1) Pull an electrical permit and see what the AHJ requires. If there is no AHJ then hire a professional qualified electrician.

    2) Most states regulate radon mitigation installations and the standard for installation is set by the US Government EPA. In my state only certified radon mitigation installers can put in radon mitigation systems. You can install your own but you need to provide paperwork to the state.

    3) The fan must be located outside or in the attic, not inside or you are violating the EPA installation protocol.

    4) A means of disconnect must be present and the circuit must be identified as a radon mitigation system. The termination point of the system is also part of the installation standard.

    5) Pre and Post testing is required.

    6) This is not a DIY job.
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts