[Urgent] How to remove an old long closet flange safely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dexter

Reaction score
I'm trying to spend this holiday weekend to replace a new toilet. This house is around 50 years old. I have to use hacksaw blades to cut those bolts. The depth of the flange is 9'' and 4'' width. Is there a way to remove it and replace a new flange?

Thanks for your helps.

Attachments

• IMG_8685.jpg
    IMG_8685.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,188
  • IMG_8692.jpg
    IMG_8692.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,233

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That is lead with a wiped joint...
Why are you changing the flange?
Is it leaking or, in the wrong place?

Dexter

Reaction score
Because it's too old and the metal almost rip out apart as you can see the second pix.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Working with leaded cast iron is hardly a DIY job.

If there are currently no leaks, you should leave everything as it is and use a toilet flange repair ring if you can get your hands on it. Otherwise, you should call in a plumber and not risk getting in over your head and end up having to call one anyways after all the aggravation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The way I would do it would be to remove the brass wiping ferrule and then lead/oakum a piece of cast iron pipe and then lead/oakum a cast iron flange to it. But that is not a DIY job for any but the most masochistic DIY'ers.

HJPOSTER.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dexter

Reaction score
I probably remove the top flange to the floor surface then install 4'' expansion flange. Is it a wise idea to do so? :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd suggest you heed the advise of Basement Lurker and HJ and get professional help. A toilet flange/connection is certainly one thing you want to be done right so that it will last for many years.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

NO! Lead is malleable and will just expand when you try to tighten the flange into it. Other than some East coast areas where they still have dinoaurs, lead closet connections have been obsolete since the 1940's.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually HJ over here on the right coast we consider lead to be a dinosaur also...
We just have a lot more obsolete plumbing to work with.
I believe in Canada there is still a strong tendency to use lead closet bends, In fact I have seen postings on a Canadian forum where they showed a lead closet bend with a ABS end.... Why I don't know but that is the only area I know of where it is still common.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks