Using a Floor Sink for a utility sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr_Magoo

Reaction score
My mechanical room has a floor sink with 2" pipe, a trap, and vent. It was installed to be a condensate drain. It goes to the septic.

I am considering putting a small utility sink in the mechanical room and would like to plumb the utility sink into the floor sink without busting any concrete. I don't think I should put a trap in the utility sink drain line as the trap in the floor sink would serve the utility sink. Is my plan going to be legal?

Thanks,
Mike

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
My mechanical room has a floor sink with 2" pipe, a trap, and vent. It was installed to be a condensate drain. It goes to the septic.

I am considering putting a small utility sink in the mechanical room and would like to plumb the utility sink into the floor sink without busting any concrete. I don't think I should put a trap in the utility sink drain line as the trap in the floor sink would serve the utility sink. Is my plan going to be legal?

Mike, when you say floor sink, do you mean floor drain? There is a difference in a floor sink and a floor drain. If it is a receptor, not a floor drain, I would say it is questionable. The only thing is how far you can run the waste to the receptor. Depending upon which code you follow.

Last edited:

Mr_Magoo

Reaction score
It is definitely a floor sink about 10" square by 12" deep. I put the sink in myself before we poured the concrete. Putting a utility sink in the mechanical room is an idea that came up later. We are governed by UPC. How far can I run my drain line from the utility sink?

BTW, don't commercial kitchens have sink drains like this?

Thanks,
Mike

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Commercial K.S. or food prep sink can use this application. I can't tell you what the upc say's but what I'm governed by is the following.

For a L.T. you can't dump into a floorsink. Exp. is you can't dump one fix to another. Would it hurt anything probably not. If you are getting it inspected you should do it right. Your code may say something different.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks