Removing Silt from Well

Users who are viewing this thread

RichInTN

Reaction score
I am looking for information on well repairs. In particular on silt removal. I have a 6" well. The water level is at 50' almost exactly. The well is currently 57' to the bottom. According to my grandfathers notes when the well was originally sunk in 1915 it was 75' deep. What is the best method to remove the silt from the bottom of the well? I remember when I was a kid them using "bailing buckets" with wells, but I can't remember what for nor can I remember the last time I saw one. I have a fairly decent shop and can fabricate most things, just not sure what the best method would be for this job.

Richard

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Hand Bailer!

You can use a 4' piece of 4" PVC to make a bailer. Make 2 holes 1" from the top to attach a wire for a rope.

Install (glue) a PCV reducer in the bottom. Install (drop) a ball that won't float in the bailer. This will act as a check valve.

With a rope lower the bailer to the bottom of the well. Surge (raise the bailer off the bottom and drop it several times), remove it from the well and dump the silt from inside and repeat until the silt has been removed. NOTE: The water will probably be muddy/silty for a time!

You can accomplish the same thing by using a 150 cfm air compressor and a 3/4" air line to the bottom. This is much easier but a lot messier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks