Bleaching inside Hot Water Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

FoxHome01

Reaction score
Is it OK to bleach the inside of a hote water tank? Will it cause corrosion?

We are going to have our anode rod (and expansion tank) replaced with the hopes that one of these objects is the culprit of the black specks we have been getting. We're going to have the tank drained and cleaned and the plumber is planning to pur bleach (plus water) into the tank and let it sit to clean it out.

Not knowing the inside components to a tank, I wanted to ask if this is the norm.

Thanks

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not the norm, probably won't hurt anything, probably won't accomplish anything either. You need filtration.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not to sure what good bleaching your tank will do. I have never heard a request to bleach a tank. Good luck in your venture.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bleach

Like a lot of things it may not do any good, but at least it will not cause any problems either. Do you have a water softener. Black specks are usually caused by a reaction between soft water and the magnesium anode rod.

FoxHome01

Reaction score
I wish I had the ability to do this on my own, but i have no idea where to begin. Having someone else take care of all this. The plumber recommended the bleach solution to clean out the tank. I suppose as long as it doesn't do permanent damage or cause corrision in the tank it won't hurt.

No we don't have a water softener. Filtration system at the moment is cost-prohibitive.

Heater is about 3-5 years. It's not that old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks