Help! Can't identify brand

Users who are viewing this thread

kd0303

Reaction score
I am trying to stop a leak in my shower/tub faucet, but I can't find any markers telling me who makes this thing. I have also never seen an assembly like this so I am stumped. I have just moved into this house, so I don't know the history here, but I know it was built in 1990, so the fixtures shouldn't be any older than that. I have attached pictures with the handles removed.
Also, it is a double handle and the brass that you see is not a sleeve, but is solid.

New pics...

Attachments

• img047.jpg
    img047.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 353
  • img048.jpg
    img048.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 363
  • img049.jpg
    img049.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 368
  • img050.jpg
    img050.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 345
  • img051.jpg
    img051.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think the point is from the supplied pictures, it's really hard to tell!

kd0303

Reaction score
I think the point is from the supplied pictures, it's really hard to tell!

It's hard to tell in person too ;) I've added new pics, but without a digital camera I don't know how much better I can get for you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The silver piece is a set-screwed on handle adapter. I don't recognize it...could be a generic? The stem looks like it could be Kohler, but that is just a stab.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The silver piece is a set-screwed on handle adapter. I don't recognize it...could be a generic? The stem looks like it could be Kohler, but that is just a stab.

My thought is kohler too with a fits all handle adapter.
If you remove the stems and take a picture we'd probably have a better idea...
Much better pictures now thanks for redoing them.

kd0303

Reaction score
The handles are definitely generic...I just wasn't sure if the silver piece was a part of that kit or not, so I left it on for the pics. I'm not sure how to get the stems loose and I that was partly why I was trying to figure out the manufacturer, so I might have a better idea on how it comes out. I have kohler in our second bathroom and there is a hollow aluminum sleeve on those stems that unscrews. This set is solid all the way back and I am having trouble seeing any way to get at it with a stem wrench or anything. Incidentally, the scratches on the stems look like they are from someone trying to grab hold and turn with a pair of pliers.

kd0303

Reaction score

This diagram has some similarities, but not quite there yet. You can't see this in the pictures, but the front of the brass piece is completely round, while the plastic piece is completely square. In the diagram, the plastic piece is square on one side and round on the other (70096).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would look for variations on that theme. The problem with kohler is they have reinvented the mouse trap so many times they drive us nuts with parts.
They are the Rube Goldberg of faucet manufacturers.

kd0303

Reaction score
Ok, new development. I put a pair of vise grips on the stem just to see what would happen even though the thing is completely round, and lo and behold it screwed right off. Now I have a new picture of what was beneath and wonder if someone may be able to identify the brand from these new pics or let me know how to get it out of there.

img056.jpg
img053.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Have you got the water off?
Next step is to remove the stem and take it down to see about matching it up.

kd0303

Reaction score
Points to Redwood for correctly identifying the Coralais style Kohler cartridge. Changed them out and no more leak. Now if I want to change out handles and such, will any double handle from the Coralais line match up correctly to the valve body?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your guess is as good as mine...
A call to Kohler would be advised.
You will probably need new extensions after the fits all handles went on them.
1-800-4-KOHLER

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks