Questions about closet bends/closet flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

DoggyDan

Reaction score
I'm moving a 3-inch toilet rough-in. I have space limitations next to a floor truss. The 4X3 closet bend and flange I've looked at have an outside diameter (hub end of flange) of 5 inches. A 3" street 90 will work as far as elevation and the hub end of the flange has an outside diameter of 4 inches. I've read some of your forums and some posts mention a 3" closet bend. Is there a 3" closet bend or are you talking about a 90-degree street elbow? Any problems using the 90 street with a closet flange that has a female end that fits on the outside of the elbow (spigot end?). I know that a 4X3 bend is preferable but I'm tight for room.

Another question--what are the pros and cons of an all abs closet flange vs. an abs flange with a metal ring other than being able to rotate the metal ring prior to mounting it to the floor?

Thank you in advance.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would consider an all ABS closet flange to be the ultimate in junk and highly likely to break causing a loose leaking toilet and rotting out your floor.

I would consider a ABS flange with a painted steel ring to be junk as it is highly likely to rust out causing your toilet to become loose and leaking causing your floor to rot out.

I would install An ABS flange with a stainless steel ring and consider it to be the only acceptable method of doing the job.http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/716/Closet+Flanges+with+Stainless+Steel+Rings.html

ssclosetflange_l.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks