Water line size advice on new basement bath?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vinniejt76

Reaction score
I'm installing a half bath in my basement and I need advice on tapping into the existing lines. I have a 3/4 in main line leaving the water heater, then it branches out to fixtures on the first floor to 1/2 in lines, and the 3/4 inch continues upstairs to feed those fixtures. Is it okay if I tap into one of the half inch lines feeding the first floor for my basement half bath?
Also I was going to use shark bite T's for tapping in, has anyone used thses before?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
General rule of thumb, two fixtures on a 1/2" line. Lots of houses have more and work okay; just depends on what flows are required. A half-bath won't be using much. Better if you can probably tap into the 3/4" line and then run 1/2". See what the pros have to say...

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I would come off the 3/4 lines to feed your new bath, that way you will
not be losing the volume to your other fixtures.

edhoman

Reaction score
What is the penalty of having 3/4" water line fed by a 1/2"?

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks