Tankless Water Heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

FoxHome01

Reaction score
As mentioned in a previous post, we've been having these black specks that are hard to clean. The plumber just called back and advised that it's actually manganese. A temporary fix is to have the anode rod replaced and the tank cleaned (with bleach) But he said that since it's a mineral in the water that reacts with the heating process it will come back.

He recommended a tankless water heater (or electronic heater) as a premanent fix to the removal of the black specks. These are very expensive, of course. Before we engage in considering this, I thought I'd ask for feedback from others as to whether or not this is a suitable recommendation and if it would in fact eliminate our problem.

Also, does anyone know how long these anode rods last before we might see these black specks again? Want to determine if it's worth putting the money towards replacing for a tankless heater NOW vs. dealing with the temporary fix until we can truely budget for it.

Lastly - any alternative options you would recommend?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suggest you research the archives of this forum for comments and opinions about tankless water heaters.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Would swapping the existing anode with a different type resolve the problem? If heat preciptiates the mineral, you'll get the same thing in a tankless as you would in a tank. If it is a reaction with the anode in the tank, there are several other types available that may resolve that. Also, softening the water has other advantages and would be less expensive and provide other benefits at a lower cost than a tankless system.

FoxHome01

Reaction score
The plumber suggested replacing with an aluminum rod, but said that b/c this mineral exists in our water it would return.

I have done a search and none of the posts talk to the tankless system eliminating the issue (black specks).

I called the plumber back to ask about a filtration system and it's an option, but it's just as expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks