to circulate,or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Farmer Don

Woodworking, Tractors, Machinery
Reaction score
Good morning,and thank you for this site. What we did was....started with a 3bd.,2ba,2car garage attached ranch style house. On one end added a 2bd,2ba 784sq.ft.,and turned the 2car garage into a Family room. The laundry rm.,where the hot water tank is, is off the Family room and app. 90 feet to the last shower on line. When they plumbed the new section,(they used PEX) I had them run a separate "hot" water line (not hooked up) with the plan of adding a circulater pump,at a later time .Do you think I wight be better off putting a small (20gal) hot water tank in the crawl space of the new section instead? I am thankful for any advice! We are on a well, but I hate wasting Water! Thank you...Don

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My home is not as large as you are describing, but I installed a recirculating system about 4 years ago and really like it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends...do you run out of hot water? Adding some capacity with an additional tank has advantages. You could plumb the input to that WH from the hot line to act as a buffer, as 20-gallons isn't much alone (normally can only get 70% out, or 14-gallons which is barely a 5-minute shower). A recirculation system has advantages, too. If you put it on either a demand switch (press it before you want hot and wait a moment), or on a timer, so it is only running when you expect to be using it, it has minimal energy impact.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks