Washing Machine Box Installation Help

Users who are viewing this thread

jimdeprado

Reaction score
I am in the final stages of roughing in our basement bathroom and laundry room. I will post some pictures when I am done. This board has been a tremendous help to me....the work would have taken me 3 or 4 times as long to figure out and get right. I have some questions before I finish running all of the drains/vents/supply lines.

1) I have installed the washing machine box in a stud cavity 36" above the floor, next to the washing machine/dryer combo unit. My plan is to run a 2" drain down to a p-trap then over to the next stud bay (where the drain goes to the floor and the vent goes to the ceiling. Is there a height requirement for the p-trap? Does it have to be a certain height above the floor or below the washing machine box?

2) When I run the hot/cold CPVC supply lines to the box, I need to run them through some studs. Do I have to use those plastic insulators at each hole? I got some from a local plumbing supply house and the instructions state to drill a 1 3/8" hole for both the 1/2" and 3/4" insulators. This seems really big to me. Does this sound reasonable? If I drill the holes, do I need to but metal plates on the stud to prevent a screw going into the pipes?

3) When the builder built my house he capped off a 1 1/2" vent pipe which is stubbed out in the joists in the ceiling. It is located about 10 feet away from the bathroom/laundry room. Is there a maximum amount of 90 degree turns that I can make within a certain distance on the vent run? Also, I need to transition from 2" to 1 1/2" at some point? Should I run 2" as far as I can and transition right before connecting to the 1 1/2" pipe stubbed out in the ceiling? Or can I transition to 1 1/2" by the fixtures and run 1 1/2" all the way through the ceiling.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jim dePrado

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Jim your washing machine drain needs to be 2" into a larger drain not reduce to 1 1/2".
Drain lines can get bigger but never smaller.

jimdeprado

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. My drain is 2" all the way to the 3" run under my slab. The 2" drain will go straight down from the box to a 2" p-trap. From there is will go over to the next stud bay to a 2" t fitting. Below the t-fitting is the 2" drain that goes into the floor. Right now I have a 2"x1.5"x2" fitting. So going up from the fitting is a 1 1/2" vent pipe. Does this make sense? Should I get a 2"x2"x2" fitting and run a 2" vent?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
box

The vent can be 1 1/2". The 1 3/8" holes are proper for most pipe holders. The nail plates must be used when the pipes are within 1 1/2" of the wall stud surface regardless of whether you notch or drill for the pipes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer_rough_b.jpg

Washer drain with 2" trap for washer and 1.5" vent.
Holes for water are drilled 1-3/8"
Hammer arrestors on shutoffs.

washer_rough_1.jpg

Last edited:

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
I have installed hundreds of them this way and yes they pass inspection.
Ok. I was merely referring to the UPC, which says 2" pipe cannot pass through a 2x4. Perhaps there are exceptions for your area. I live in NYS. Did the use of a teco stud shoe (not shown in the picture) allow this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks