Thinset or something else to replace tiles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
I have four tiles (4x4) that were removed during a new spout install. The wall is a bit weak but ok. Can I use liquid nails (or something else) to adhere the tiles to the wall or should I use a thinset? I peeled some old mastic off so it is down to the surface which I am unclear as to what it is. House was built around 50's. Everything is oringinal just replummed a new spout. I am hoping to get 3-4 years out of it then she will be gutted.

Please advise.

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It doesn't need to be thinset. There are lots of different companies that make tile mastics in small containers. And don't tell anybody but I've used liquid nails and it's worked fine for a small patch. I probably wouldn't use it in an area that's going to be wet a lot like inside a shower just because I don't know what happens to liquid nails after months of being damp.

The problem with something like liquid nails is it gets all over, can't be removed easily and leaves ugly dark brown spots if it oozes out at all between tiles while your setting them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks