Kill lawn bugs with your hose, is it legal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
attachment.php

When I go to hardware stores, I see bug killers that work with garden hoses. Why are these legal?

Cautions

For outdoor use only. Harmful if swallowed. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling.

How to Use

Connect: Shake well before using. Connect sprayer to hose. Turn on water. Spray:

If they kill bugs, how safe are they for humans?
Why are they for use with garden hoses that connect up to the public drinking supply?
Why are stores selling them?
Why are inspectors allowing their sale?
Am I missing something here?

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my state, pesticide regulations require an anti-syphon device for any hose that is used to mix or spray chemicals. The type of anti-syphon is not specified.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those garden hose sprayers have been around ever since there have been garden hoses. What's the problem? I've been drinking out of hoses for almost
sixty years, and I ain't dead yet!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is an interesting question because I think that legally the companies that make these things have no obligation to adhere to plumbing codes however all sillcocks now require a vacuum breaker at the very least to offer some degree of back flow prevention however, pesticide and irrigation systems require an actual back flow preventer. You can ask the same question of the hose attached fertilization products also like Miracle Grow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The assumption, faulty as it is, is that the hose valve will have the mandated anti-siphon device attached to it. But, since the device works with an "aspirator" the material is NOT entering the water flow unless it is an "active" flow creating a Bornelli Effect at the nozzle, EXACTLY like a "post mix" paint gun.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks