HELP Sewage ejector pump keeps running, stops overflow and works

Users who are viewing this thread

Manish

Reaction score
Hi,

We are having a wired issue with the sewage ejector pump in our basement.

Symptoms:

At times the pump keeps running dose not stop after the tank is empty, the only way it again stops is if we FLUSH the toilet than its quite again and seems to work until this occurs again.

Yesterday my wife cried for hours as she used the toilet and the tank started to over flow around the lid and created a big mess.

I thought the pump was dead so started to open the lid to the pit in the process the wrench tapped against the pump pipe above the lid and the pump started up, So I cleaned the mess and here I am asking for advice.

What will fix this issue ?

Replace the pump
Is there are switch or a part that is causing this issue

Please help.

thank you
Manish:confused:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a switch. There are several kinds: the most common is the float that is attached to a cord. It can malfunction if it gets covered with something. Some floats are attached to the pump and some are attached to the standpipe.

There is also an older type that is still around that has two rubber weights and is counterbalanced by a spring. This unit attaches to the lid and the weights hang down below.

The third type that I'm aware of is the pressure-activated switch. This is part of the pump and would probably require the replacement of the pump.

There's also a mechanical type float that is hooked to the switch in the pump and again, the pump should be replaced.

Sometimes, you can look into the sump and see that there is debris on the float causing it to fail. Sometimes, it's because of the poor placement of the float directly in line with the incoming sewage.

Sometimes, the float switch fails because of age - the metal parts get arcing inside the switch - a metal part sliding onto a contact.

In the spring-loaded type, the spring gets weak or the floats accumulate debris.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
More than likely the pit is in need of cleaning and possibly the floats needing to be adjusted to where the incoming waste does not dump stuff directly on them. I would open the pit and check to see what is hanging up the float switches preventing proper operation. The switches should be set to operate like the diagram below... Note: You may want to hire a plumber for this job... It's not the most pleasant job, often it takes several days for the aroma to depart your sinus cavities.

ejectorpitfloatswitchsettings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks