Resheathing garage what type of nails

Users who are viewing this thread

Teamo

Reaction score
I have a detached garage that has no sheathing under the shingles. It has large wood shingles that were nailed onto strips of wood. I am going to strip the garage down to the studs and use either 1/2 inch plywood or 1/2 inch OSB for sheathing and then side it with vinyl. I am going to either rent or buy a nail gun for the sheathing job. What type of gun/nails should I use? What size/depth should the nails be? Thanks

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A framing nailer will take #8's for sheathing and #16's for framing.

It's a good investment...under $200 I think.

They size the gun nails by inches instead of the old school 8's and 16's. I think 8's are 2 3/8" and 16's are 3".

Nate R

Reaction score
IIRC, you should have 6 inch nail spacing around the outside of each sheet, and 12 inch spacing on any studs within the sheet. My house has no anti-racking system of any kind. No let it diagonal 1X4, etc. And it shows. Over the years, the house has racked a bit. Next year when I do siding I'm stripping down to the original sheathing boards and adding 3/8" OSB w/ a similar nailing pattern to the entire house. Just so it doesn't move any further.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Around here, for earthquake specs, they do use the sheathing for bracing. The archtect will spec certain areas....usually in certain corners of certain walls... as bracing, and the nail spec in that area will be as you described. And the inspectors are VERY fussy about that nailing pattern,.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks