Installing P trap for the first time..chrome or plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
That is NOT the drain adapter you want, because the trap tubing will probably not slide into it, and it is not designed to accept a slipnut and washer. The one you need WILL come with a nut and washer on it already.

Is that the one that Redwood suggested in post #8? If not, what does it look like?

Andrew21

Reaction score
Thats one cheapo junko looking basket strainer...
Well how did the pipes line up?

The original piping had an angle and I think a brass trap. Stupid me tossed it out when I demo the kitchen. :(

anyway, if you look at everything head on, The waste pipe is about 4 inches to the left of the strainer. Hope that helps

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
Good call, but you ain't gonna pick that up at the cheepo depot.

I did see these at Home Depot...is this it?

brass_trap_drain_sanitary_ware_fitting_.jpg

Andrew21

Reaction score
I'll guess I'll go with my original plan then. Cut the pipe, solder the angle, solder the dwv adapter and then hook it up. Hopefully everything will come out ok :)

Andrew21

Reaction score
WOOHOOOOOO!!!!! I did it! :)

It all worked out. I used MAP gas and let me tell ya..the fittings heated up quicker and since I prepped it good, the solder went in correctly. Although the solder didn't come out as pretty as a pro would do it, its done and the rest of the fittings were cake.

Thank you all!

Andrew

Andrew21

Reaction score
Well Andrew aren't you going to show us a picture?:cool:

I'm afraid of the criticism :) But if its wrong, i would want to know right? I'll see if I can get a pic. I wanted to take a pic but was so relieved in fixing it. Anway, I'll get one for ya!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew,
We don't draw blood when we bite! LOL
We'll just see how you did and let you know.

Wrex

Reaction score
Usually to get that clean look at the joint after soldering you wipe the joint with a damp rag shortly after applying the solder just FYI.

Just make sure that you wipe away from your arm and not towards it I have caught some wayward solder on my skin before not a fun experience :).

MAPP gas is always the way to go it burns much hotter than propane.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
MY Gawd! It's a thing of beauty!:D

Nice job!

I'm still not thrilled with the basket strainer, but it's a whole bunch better than what you had!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks