Installing P trap for the first time..chrome or plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just got my undermount sink in and now I need to hook everything up to the sink (faucet, p trap, etc). This is the first time I will ever do something like this and I'm not that clueless but somewhat lost.

Should I use the chrome or the plastic piping? I would like a nice look under the sink. I know, I know, nobody really looks under there but I would gather it would look nice. If the plastic is the best and easiest way to do it, I'll go with that.

Now the drain pipe is coming out 9 inches. WOuld I have to cut this? If putting in the chrome pipe, do I need to solder the connections? Thanks!
4Medium.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Under a cabinet, I don't think appearance is an issue. Plastic probably has an edge in longevity...as in foever, whereas a brass trap will corrode ...eventually.... A brass, or chrome plated, probably has a higher success rate of not leaking at initial install. Plastic can sometimes cause a problem, as you can only tighten the nuts so tight. I usually replace the nylon gaskets with rubber ones, coating them lightly with plumbers grease. These seem to seal up better.

If you are in MA, or some other states, you will be required to solder the trap arm to your waste stub. If your code allows it, I would cut that stub closer to the wall, solder on a slip joint trap adapter ( sometimes called a Desanko fitting).

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
short of using a rubber fernco which would be savage, a desanko or trap adaptor fitting will have to soldered on.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
And it's going to take some considerable amount of heat to solder to that copper pipe. Just letting you know...

Andrew21

Reaction score
short of using a rubber fernco which would be savage, a desanko or trap adaptor fitting will have to soldered on.

What is a desanko adapter? Is that a copper fitting that when I solder it on, there's a thread at the end? I went to Lowes to get some parts but I didn't know 2 things.

1. There are different sizes of pipes, 1 1/2, and 1 1/4.
2. I took out a strainer and started to use the parts to put everything together in the aisle! LOL. As long as I know what to buy, I'll be good. But the last thing is that adapter.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks! Let me see if its across the street at HD...i doubt it though.. will report back

btw, what does DWV mean?

Andrew21

Reaction score
thanks. Of course they didn't have it at HD. Its the worst there. Fittings and stuff all over the place. Time to take a trip to Lowes or the local supply store.

They did have it in the PVC section though. But I wouldn't know how to connect it to the copper if I did get the piece.

Thanks Redwood!

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
Ok, i'm back. Was tied up doing other things but here's my plan. Hopefully I'm doing this correct.

I'm going to cut the waste pipe closer to the wall to install a 45 degree angle street elbow and then put on the trap adapter fitting as pictured before. Then sweat the fittings on and connect the rest. The sink drain is not aligned behind the waste pipe. Sorry for the angled shot. Here's what I'm up to now..

sink1Medium.jpg

I just took a picture of this to see if the fittings fit...

sink2Medium.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

That is NOT the drain adapter you want, because the trap tubing will probably not slide into it, and it is not designed to accept a slipnut and washer. The one you need WILL come with a nut and washer on it already.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I will amend my earlier post and say that at this point a fernco would fit right in.

Rombo

Reaction score
I don't why you guys are telling him he needs an adapter. Go buy a 1 1/2" rough brass trap, you clean the inside of the pipe sticking out of the wall. Slide your trap arm inside and solder it up.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't why you guys are telling him he needs an adapter. Go buy a 1 1/2" rough brass trap, you clean the inside of the pipe sticking out of the wall. Slide your trap arm inside and solder it up.

Good call, but you ain't gonna pick that up at the cheepo depot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks