Smell in one shower only and only with hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

RMM

Reaction score
I moved into a 3 year old house last year and recently began to notice a smell in the shower. The house is 3 stories and the smell is only present when I run the hot water in the master shower. It is from the flowing water, not the drain, also the cold water does not emit a smell. All other locations in the house do not have a smell and I cleaned all the drains and replaced the shower head.

The previous owners had a revers osmosis water softener. It was removed when I bought the house.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
RMM

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is a sulfur reducing bacteria infestation. Your mission is to locate where it resides and elininate it.

RMM

Reaction score
I think I narrowed it down to the hot water in the master shower. Can it be in the mixing valve? How do I tell? And, once it is found how do I get rid of it?

Thanks
MM

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
We had the same problem at our shop. The upstairs office wasn't finished until my boss bought the place. Basically we had a long dead-end until the bathroom was finished. The hot water smelled out of that one faucet until I drained the w.h. and poured a gallon of bleach in it. I filled it up and ran the water out thru the upstairs faucet until the bleach smell was gone. Something started growing in the pipes because some some nasty slime blew out of the stubout. The office staff was about puking when they smelled what was in the bucket.

RMM

Reaction score
I did a shock chlorination treatment in the hot water tank/hot water lines. It worked great. The smell is gone.

I was not able to remove the anode, tried but could not get it to turn. I had to remove the pressure relief valve and pour the bleach in the side of the tank. I used this site for the procedure to do this : www.h2ouse.org/tour/details/element...&actionID=77E1C0C0-C6FC-490A-8A27ABECEB7AF540

I would still like to look at my anode to see if it needs replacement, any ideas on how to loosen it?

Thanks for all the great help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks