Granite....radon

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Gerhart

Reaction score
What a great thread on this subject!

Hello,

I am pretty deep into this subject, and can answer a lot of questions on the subject if anyone has any. Keep in mind that I am helping many of the researchers looking into this, so I have some stuff available that isn't published yet.

There are studies out there on the Radon emanation from granite, ranges from nothing to thousands of pCi per square foot per hour. The record was Stan Liebert's find in the Sugarman home in up state NY, the case used for the NY Times story. As to research papers, well, even the Marble Institute's study done by Dr. Chyi found a .27 pCi/L increase in a homes level if a small amount (13 linear feet) of Crema Bordeaux is used in a 2,000 square foot home. Now, there were many problems with that study, as it was paid for by the MIA, it was expected to support their position, but it shattered their previous claims of no Radon from granite, or immeasurable amounts.

At the AARST conference (American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists), there were two studies specifically on granite countertop radtiation and Radon, and two discussion sessions on what to do about the problem.

One study, by Bill Brodhead, showed over 500 pCi/sf/hr of Radon coming from one of the samples I provided. Bill calculated that in the right circumstances, a small tight home, a small countertop, the Radon levels could hit 4 pCi/L. Now most granites aren't his bad, they range from very little, say 8 pCi/sf/hr and up. But no one is concerned about the safer granites, it is the hot ones that need taken off the market.

Another study was by Dr. Mike Kitto, who showed several startling discoveries. Mike had accepted a grant from Sensa, a natural stone company (also owned by Silestone, or C & C North America to be precise), and studied thirty or forty stone samples and some of the quartz products as well. The study was set for peer review after the conference, but then something happened.

Back in May, I had shipped a sample of Niagara gold granite, from a remnant purchased from one of my competitors. At 220 uR/hr, it was pretty hot but I had no way to test for granite. So I sent a large section to Brodhead for testing, who cut it in half, sending half to Dr. Kitto at the NY state Health Dept. Broken in shipment, half was tested, the other half appreared in the NY Times story and on the CBS Morning show a bit later.

That Niagara Gold sample hit over 500 pCi/SF/hr, which convineced the researchers to keep looking. Later I sent more samples to both Brodhead and Kitto, as well as other scientists leading the effort. So Kitto stopped the peer review, reopened the study to include samples other than what he was provided with initially by the stone company.

Another amazing result from Kitto's study was that one could put a high Radon producing granite slab under a low Radon producing slab and the Radon from the lower would penetrate the upper slab easily. What we think as "solid rock" is anything but. As a fabricator, I can tell you that water soaks right through, so I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise.

On the radiation issue, well the hottest found to date was around 17 mR/hr, with one hot spot cored out (2.5" diameter core) that hit 1.080 mR/hr. One hundred hours of contact, or less than 30 minutes a day for a year, would put you over the 100 mR per year additional radiation dose recommended by the experts.

The average granite out there is under 20 uR/hr gamma, or around .2 or .3 mR/hr if you count all radiation. If you look at it in terms of background radiation, the "safe" granite will double, triple or quadruple your radiation that you get from natural sources all around you. As a granite fabricator, we have a limit of 25 uR/hr gamma, mainly out of concern for our workers.

Sensa has used this as a marketing tool, 300 cpm or around 53 uR/hr gamma is their limits for fabrication and sale.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt the info needed to be out there. Let me know if I missed anything. I'll end my saying that many of the granites out there are perfectly safe, but the problem is that we don't know which ones are dangerous.

For more info, solidsurfacealliance.org solidsurfacealliance.org/blog

Thanks,
Al

Last edited:

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
man no wonder people in my hometown are so messed up...

I grew up in Rockport, which is known for it's natural granite resources...

town is like a bowl of granola, if it's not fruits and nuts, it's flakes.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Mold is the big scare now.....

I guess when the class action lawyers start advertising for clients, that is the time to wonder whether this is the new "asbestos" scare. They didn't get much business the first time around with Radon, so maybe this time is the charm.

Why worry about something as silly as Radon..emitting from
a granite kitchen top....

Poor people with expensive 40k granite kitchens
I really, really feel for them.....

Radon was the big scare back in the early 90s....
and Mold is the big, big money maker now...

people have literally been scared to death when they see any of it.
and if you inadvertanly pour a gallon of water out on their basement floors and they go nuts..........

Perhaps the new scam and money maker will be to somehow "seal the granite"
in your home so it wont emit radon....

I should look into starting a franchise.

What about all the other chemicals that emit from the carpets, walls,
floors, and other building materials in a normal modern home???

something is going to kill you........ someday......

Last edited:

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The average granite out there is under 20 uR/hr gamma, or around .2 or .3 mR/hr if you count all radiation. If you look at it in terms of background radiation, the "safe" granite will double, triple or quadruple your radiation that you get from natural sources all around you. As a granite fabricator, we have a limit of 25 uR/hr gamma, mainly out of concern for our workers.
Al:

Radiation exposure is related to the distance from the material. Are these numbers being reported with the geiger counter directly on the granite ... the levels drop substanially since the levels are inversely related to the distance squared. A radiation level 3" from the rock is only about 10% of what it was 1" from the rock.

Do you monitor the radon levels in your plant? You want to install a heat recovery ventilator if your radon levels are high and the source is determined to be from the materials you handle.

In the several homes I have measured for radiation, I found the ceramic tile floor gave off the same background levels as the granite countertop (about 3X what is was in other parts of the homes and that was 1" from the material ... practically nothing).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you, Al G.

I appreciate getting some input from someone with a lot of experience on the topic.

It is still a gray area to me. We did get the safety siren machine, and have been running it for a week at a time in various rooms in the house. Set right on top of the granite, it averaged about 2.6 pico/Ci over a week. And similar readings are obtained at most rooms in the house, including the garage which has me wondering if they are in fact on a ground area which is the problem, more so than the granite!

I did run it for a week in my house, and the readings ran about 0.24

I realize that this machine, and the over-the-counter lab test she did are all non-scientific in approach. SO what does a person do? They say over 2 is a concern, but what?

We are thinking of just installing a temporary exhaust fan and see if that does anything for the average level in the house. We are somewhat reluctant to put in an "official" radon system, as that may "poison" the future sale-ability of the house!

When I was in the Navy, I think the maximum permitted exposure was given as 250 milliRad per quarter ( 3 months ). Obviously the granite gamma numbers in micro Rem would not be a problem, but the airborne dose of granite dust or radon........maybe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Radon is a gas, so it can diffuse throughout the house. The higher it is at the source and the tighter the house, the higher the ultimate level could reach. The draftier the house, the less the problems. You can get it from your well-water, too. This is probably the worst possible situation since you often are in a closed space (shower) where you could be breathing it in deep. The hot water and the spray disperses it out of solution right at you. NH is nicknamed the granite state, and radon can be problematic here. Not a bad idea when purchasing a house to check for it both in the water (many places rely on wells), and in the air.

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
It is still a gray area to me. We did get the safety siren machine, and have been running it for a week at a time in various rooms in the house. Set right on top of the granite, it averaged about 2.6 pico/Ci over a week. And similar readings are obtained at most rooms in the house, including the garage which has me wondering if they are in fact on a ground area which is the problem, more so than the granite!

Directly on the granite is an invalid test ... should be at least 20" away from it. Also, test invalid when placed in the kitchen due to high moisture (doesn't affect safety siren but skewed by the radon in water). Retest this room or put in adjacent room. The source of the radon is not from the granite, otherwise the numbers on the counter would have been substanially higher.

I did run it for a week in my house, and the readings ran about 0.24
Those are unusually low numbers since the outside air is typically .4 pCi/l.
I realize that this machine, and the over-the-counter lab test she did are all non-scientific in approach. SO what does a person do?

The safety Siren is an accurate piece of equipment. Many over the counter tests are very accurate ... I would not be so quick to discount them.

They say over 2 is a concern, but what?

You should be less than 4 pCi/L ... and ideally less than 2 pCi/L if you are going to fix it. However, some homes are difficult/not practical to reduce to less than 2 pCi/L.

We are thinking of just installing a temporary exhaust fan and see if that does anything for the average level in the house. We are somewhat reluctant to put in an "official" radon system, as that may "poison" the future sale-ability of the house!

A temporary exhaust may reduce numbers short term, but they will return to original levels within hours. A radon system will not hurt your resale value and can actually help resale by reducing radon, moisture, and possible mold problems.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you 99 for your input as well.

When I say non-scientific, what I meant was the testing was not done in a really controlled manner. Life went on, so no particular attention was paid to opening and closing of doors, etc. I do appreciate knowing the the equipment is reliable.

The house is insulated, heated, and air conditioned. There are no particular problems with humidity, etc. The drawback of the ventilation fan.....I was proposing running something like 12 to 18 hours per day....is that it would just be directly exhausting conditioned ( heated or cooled) air to the outside. But I still want her to do it for a month or so to see if it makes a difference.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Jimbo, if you are going to address this, put in a heat-recovery ventillation system. Panasonic and others have some that are pretty good about recovering the energy you paid for. This also will keep the pressure more constant...just exhausting means drawing air in through any crack or leak in the house...managing it is a much better plan.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Jimbo, if you are going to address this, put in a heat-recovery ventillation system. Panasonic and others have some that are pretty good about recovering the energy you paid for. This also will keep the pressure more constant...just exhausting means drawing air in through any crack or leak in the house...managing it is a much better plan.

Yup- plus putting your house under a vacuum means you could be pumping radon into it from the foundation.

Radon removal involves putting the foundation under a vacuum.

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Thank you 99 for your input as well.

When I say non-scientific, what I meant was the testing was not done in a really controlled manner. Life went on, so no particular attention was paid to opening and closing of doors, etc. I do appreciate knowing the the equipment is reliable.

The house is insulated, heated, and air conditioned. There are no particular problems with humidity, etc. The drawback of the ventilation fan.....I was proposing running something like 12 to 18 hours per day....is that it would just be directly exhausting conditioned ( heated or cooled) air to the outside. But I still want her to do it for a month or so to see if it makes a difference.

Jim:

As a radon contractor, many of things you are suggesting do not make sense. I suggest you get a pro to look at your daughter's house because you can actually make the situation worse. I handle Connecticut, otherwise take a look at this link.
http://www.radongas.org/radon_mitigation_service.shtml

Al Gerhart

Reaction score
99K,

Close on the radiation range info, were a granite countertop a point source, your info would be correct. But a plane surface is not a point source, so the radiation reaches much further than you can imagine.

There is a lot of misinformation out there on this topic, take Beta radiation and the distance it can travel. Once we were told the Beta can travel a few inches in dry air, now we are told, oh, that was for Beta sources found in a nuclear plant. It turns out that Beta from some of the decay products can go over 5 meV, with 1 meV allowing ten feet of travel.

We have done range tests with a sensitive pancake probe using hot granite slabs, up to six feet away, radiation levels are at three times background. Six inches will be about half of what it was on contact.

Currently we are contducting dosimeter studies using a mannequin with badge dosimeters, and our Radon room has passed the intial tests (up to 30 pCi/L from 36 square feet of granite). Next is to start varying ventilation levels and tracking what happens.

If you are finding granite at 3 x background, while there is a small risk, it isn't something I personally would be concerned about unless it was one of those few stones that put out large amounts of radon despite being low level. One stone studied in Mn was at 7 uR/hr (background was 6 uR/hr) but it pumped out some serious Radon according to the scientist that reported it.

Jimbo,
thanks, but there isn't anyone with a lot of experience, even the scientists are still learning. This has been a quite humbling experience for me, I had know idea on how little I knew on this topic.

The Safety Siren will slightly over respond sitting on the granite. When we run E-Perm tests, we use two meters, one sealed under a 3 liter bowl sitting on the granite, the other sealed under a 3 liter bowl sitting on a PVC sheet that is sitting on the granite. That gives us a reading on the air that is trapped inside the bowl before it was sealed and the radiaton coming from the granite that will affect the test.

In our Radon room, we keep the CRM's and Electrets about three feet away from any granite. We do accumulator tests as well, following the proper protocol that accounts for the varibles.

2.6 pCi/L just sitting on a slab does show some concern. Under a bowl, it would jump to hundreds of pCi/L. If you do a test under a bowl with a known volume, a known time, a known background radiation, send me the data, I have an Excel templete set up by a Radon researcher (Dr. Kotrappa) that will tell you the pCi/SF/hr coming off the spot being tested. Or I can send you a formula if you are good at algebra.

Radon levels at any level carry risk. The annual death rate for Radon is 21,000 according to the EPA, but that is based on 1.3 pCi/L, the national average for homes. So 2 will kill you just as 4 will. Get it as low as possible if you can, but as others have said, sometimes below 2 isn't practical.

The annual radiation levels allowed are high if there is a public benefit and the person knows about the risk, accepts it, and the workers exposures are carefully tracked. Like a medical x ray, there is an excellent reason for the exposure. Not so with a hot granite countertop. The NRC holds the states to cleaning up contaminated areas to less than 25 mrem per year exposure to the inhabitants. Even the stone industry has agreed that is a target to shoot for, no more than 25 mrem per year. That means that a dose from a granite top has to be less than 17 uR/hr, about three times background here in Oklahoma.

And Jim is so right, Radon in water is a problem too. Just imagine if that shower was lined with granite walls, granite tile floors, and granite countertops on the vanity.

There is some great info on Radon mitigating posted in this thread. Excellent advice from all.

There has been a lot happening since I last ran across this site. Three committees looking into the controversy, AARST (Radon scientists), CRCPD (State radiation protection officials), and ASME. I sit on the ASME committee, recently set up a panel dicussion for AARST for the September conference (it still has to be approved, but they came to me to ask it be done), and my email group has many of the other two committee members as members, so I get a front row seat. The stone industry came out with another "study" but the scientists reviewing it are tearing it apart, calling it unreliable. Would you believe they didn't calibrate their instruments before doing the tests? Some of the stones in the study were studied by independent researchers, finding 20 times the Radon that the stone industry found. No surprise there, eh?

We have a forum ( forum.solidsurfacealliance.org ) where I post what information I can, although not alot of the really good info can be used until my email group members publish their papers in journals. The first paper will come out in April, Health Physicist Journal. DR. Steck at St Johns univesity is rushing to publish his work, Dr. Llope has conducted his gamma spectrometery studies and is working with a couple of cancer doctors to put the data into direct organ dose rates so that the cancer rates from the hottest stones can be given.

Great forum, intelligent posters that post some solid info. Usually one of these discussions turns into a battle from little informed egos or a granite guy wacking away at the truth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks