Granite....radon

Users who are viewing this thread

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Let me undo my mess. These are all my comments ...

"You can effectively remediate a building without having porous material if proper techniques and equipment is used"

"Filling cracks is not necessary in most instances ... especially is a home that is finished and on a slab"

"You should never shut down a system. The radon level will be back to were it was within hours. Not only does a system remove radon, but can mine out as much as gallons a day of moisture. Many of my clients have seen the dehumidifier run much less and the musty smell is gone"

Anyone want to instruct me hown to multiquote?

Thanks,

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to instruct me hown to multiquote?

In the reply box, paste and highlight the portion you want to quote and hit the quote icon.

If you want to quote the whole comment but comment on individual sentences just paste the whole thing, highlight the individual portions and leave space between them for your replies.

You can preview reply to test.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry Bob:

I was trying to comment at certain points in your message Here is how I insert comments ... I have never be able to figure out how to do this. Once it was posted within a quote I figured no one would pick up on my comments.

You do have to put a little something down here, else you get a "short reply" error. But it can literally be just :,,,,,,,,

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
In the reply box, paste and highlight the portion you want to quote and hit the quote icon.

If you want to quote the whole comment but comment on individual sentences just paste the whole thing, highlight the individual portions and leave space between them for your replies.

You can preview reply to test.

I cannot figure it out??:mad:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't use the quote function in the post. That will quote the whole post.

Copy what you want and paste it in your reply. Split it appart if you like.

Highlight the part you want to appear as a quote and click the quote icon above the reply box (it's yellow and looks like text in a cartoon like thingy).

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com

Highlight the part you want to appear as a quote and click the quote icon above the reply box (it's yellow and looks like text in a cartoon like thingy).

Let's see if this works.

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com

I may have it this time.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It is in Prescott AZ about 2 hours North of Phoenix.

Storm watching is awesome there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I built a new mountain cabin three years ago with a basement and granite in the kitchen and upstairs baths, then discovered 30 units of radon in it a year later. So I put a vacuum system in the basement and knocked it down to 2 using a plug-in detector (in the basement, of course).

Then read this damn thread!! So I reset the detector, plugged it into a kitchen outlet, tucked back way in the corner just above the counter, then waited three days to get a new reading of 1.

Phew.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all granites are the same - just look at the vast quantity of colors and textures available from around the world. So, your result is not unexpected. Too much of anything is bad for you.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Not all granites are the same - just look at the vast quantity of colors and textures available from around the world. So, your result is not unexpected. Too much of anything is bad for you.
No kidding. Anyone know if there is a cheap hand held detector that gives instant results? It would be nice to know if the slab that you selected is "hot" before you pay to have it installed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
An actual geiger counter to measure radiation is probably quite expensive, and the radiation level in millirem per hour is probably quite low...below any problem level, and probably below detection level. But what we are concerned about in this case is not the RADIATION, but the CONTAMINATION....that is the breakdown product of the unranium and other isotopes....which decompose to radon gas. Since radon is radioactive, with a half life of 432 years, it is NOT GOOD to breath it in.

When we are around nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons, there is some exposure of the body to RADIATION. But there are well known and studied limits of exposure, based on level and time, which are considered safe. In those environments, personnel wear long term and short term dosimiters, which are monitored appropriately. Exposure is limited by limiting time in the area, and of course by shielding with water, polyethylene, and lead. Any escape of radioactive material into the environment...surface or airborne....that is an extremely serious situation and requires immediate emergency measures.

SO, it is not the radiation from the granite which is so much of a problem. It is that it releases a gas which can be ingested and absorbed into the body.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The hazard from radon is that the radioactive gas gets into your lungs which absorb the radiation directly. That is why it is considered particularly bad to combine radon with smoking.

The radiation from radon and its daughter products is alpha (a helium nucleus) and beta (an electron) (See list at second link). Both of those have low range penetration so they have little effect if OUTSIDE the body.

http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/radon/georadon/2.html

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/GM/experiments/ex1.html

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The radiation from radon and its daughter products is alpha (a helium nucleus) and beta (an electron) (See list at second link). Both of those have low range penetration so they have little effect if OUTSIDE the body.
It's important to realize that radon gas can cross over from your lungs and enter into your bloodstream (like oxygen). The radon in your bloodstream can then decay back to radioactive solids and become trapped in your body, such as the brain. This is not good. There was a study showing a strong correlation to alzheimers and parkinson's and radon decay products, although, not sure how conclusive the study was. Bottom line, get the radon out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I bought the Safety Siren monitor. It has been running in my house for about 5 days, and shows an average of 0.3 pCI/L. From what I read, 0 to 2.0 picocuries is considered normal background.

I will take it over to daughters house this weekend and see what kind of readings we get. Although they suggest not using in the kitchen, I plan to plunk it right on top of the countertop and let it go for 5 days, just to see. Then we will place it in other rooms in the house, and get some avearage readings. Depending on what comes up, THEN we wil panic!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks