Installing coupling/pipe/bend in a tight space

Users who are viewing this thread

nc8861

Reaction score
I'm replacing a closet bend and a small section of 3" pipe going out to the main stack. My bend currently comes right up against a joist. So I don't really have much clearance on that end - and of course I don't have any clearance on the stack end. I have to cut the current stuff out, install a coupling, section of new pipe, then the bend (the bend has to come up in the same spot). So how do I get the same length/measurements in a space with no clearance? It's not like I can bend the coupling or pipe.

On another board it was suggested that I use a shielded coupling that tightens down with screws. I'd really like to avoid anything but ABS + cement, as I don't want my toilet "stuff" going through a non-cemented joint. Is there any magical way to do this?

magician.jpg

Is there any magical way to do this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Is there enough 3" pipe coming out of the tee on the main stack for you to glue on a 45? You might be able to replace that closet bend with two 45s to make a connection to the flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks