shower drain won't fit undersized 2" pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

mr ed

Reaction score
Hi, have you ever heard of this problem? I have a slightly undersized cast iron 2" drain pipe in my concrete basement floor, cut flush with the floor. It was previously connected to a shower with a lead pour around the drain fitting, sealing any irregularities.

I'm installing a shower kit with a molded plastic base and a drain from home depot, the brass one with the rubber gasket inside that slips over the pipe, then is compress from above by screwing down a compression ring. well, the drain gasket fits loosely over the pipe, which it turns out is slighltly undersized, about 1/16" (or 1/8-3/16 diameter). No amount of screwing/compressing will seal tightly leak-free.

How do I install this standard 2" drain fitting to an off-standard undersized 2" iron pipe?

mr ed

Reaction score
the gasket I have fits inside a brass drain fitting that the lowes and HDepot plumbing departments tell me is made for cast iron. It's not the plastic drain that came with the unit. If there's a specialty gasket for cast iron, where would I find it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gasket

mr ed said:
the gasket I have fits inside a brass drain fitting that the lowes and HDepot plumbing departments tell me is made for cast iron. It's not the plastic drain that came with the unit. If there's a specialty gasket for cast iron, where would I find it?

Usually at the place where you bought the drain. HD and Lowes would have a gasket for plastic pipe because that is what most of their customers would be using. If they do not have it you will have to contact the manufacturer of the draian fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks