How to drill 2.25" hole in cinder block wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

TigerDriver

Reaction score
Website
www.campbells.org
I'm installing a 5-zone drip irrigation system. I'm locating the control valves in my garage, whose walls are concree block with brick veneer on outside.

The poly pipe is 0.700" OD.

Rather than drilling five separate holes through the wall, I want to drill a single hole through the concrete block and veneer. The size of the hole needs to be large enough to accept a sleeve of 2" PVC (to protect the poly pipe and to allow for winterization).

I have a complete set of bi-metal hole saws, but none for cuttng through the concrete block.

Any recommendations?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Home Depot rents a hammer drill and core drills that will buzz though in no time and leave a nice clean hole.

index.php

TigerDriver

Reaction score
Website
www.campbells.org
Home Depot rents a hammer drill and core drills that will buzz though in no time and leave a nice clean hole.

The nearest Home Depot rental store is about 150 mi. away. I already own a hammer drill and an arbor that holds a 2-1/2" bi-metal hole saw. I was hoping to purchase just a single saw to fit my existing arbor.

Msgale

Reaction score
i dont think youcan drillthru, although perhaps a diamond bit might work,i don't know anything about them.
But your hammer drill probably will drillthru, with a regular masonry bit,a series of small holes,then punch out the middle, Not too neat, you will have to patch around your larger pipe to fill the irregualrities.
or you can buy a cheap harbor freight demolition hammer, for less money than 300 miles of gas, or almost less, and punch ah big hole. Easier than a hammer drill,but still not neat round cuts.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can't get a dry core bit you will have to do as you stated drill multiple holes and try to keep it as clean as possible.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, carbide will work. Not as clean a hole but that's how we did it in the old days.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I'm installing a 5-zone drip irrigation system. I'm locating the control valves in my garage, whose walls are concree block with brick veneer on outside.

The poly pipe is 0.700" OD.

Rather than drilling five separate holes through the wall, I want to drill a single hole through the concrete block and veneer. The size of the hole needs to be large enough to accept a sleeve of 2" PVC (to protect the poly pipe and to allow for winterization).

I have a complete set of bi-metal hole saws, but none for cuttng through the concrete block.

Any recommendations?
Yet another reason why only the DIY crowd ever installs lawn sprinkler zone valves anywhere but outside.

Phil H2

Reaction score
Tiger Diver,
Just a heads up. If you plan on using 2" PVC pipe for a sleeve, it won't fit through a 2-1/4" hole. The outside diameter is 2-3/8"

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's just one hole and you're careful to hit a void in the block and not hit one of the webs, you can do this with a hammer and chisel in under 5 minutes. Concrete block is very easy to break with a hammer.

Punch (or drill) a small hole to get you started and work around the edge of that hole until it's as big as you want.

I've opened 3'x3' access holes in block with a hammer and chisel lots of times and it takes me longer to haul the broken pieces out to the trash than it does to make a nice square opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks