Antique plumbing tools

Users who are viewing this thread

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum here and I have not been plumbing very long. No longer a "hack", I work for an actual plumbing company now and they are showing me how to plumb to code. Anyways, I am thinking about picking up a hobby and that would be to go "antiquing" for old tools, preferably old plumbing tools. I was wondering if you guys could throw some names at me to get me started. I got this idea from an old keresone torch my bosses' grandpappy used for melting lead that sits in a shelf in his office and also the tape measure I used today was one my co-worker was using that is a hand me down "Rabone Chesterman" leather tape reel. I am looking forward to any leads ya'll can hook me up with!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
antique tools

I have collected them for a while....

lots of antique wrenches and such,,,

have them hanging in the front window of the shop..

and a few hanging in my office by my phone for to grab and throw at anyone I might deem a threat.......LOL.

you can get all you want on e--ba//// under plumbing...

other things of interest you can get there that I
found interesting were plumbing books and price
catelogues for materials from about 1890 for about
10 bucks...

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
hj, sweet. I want to actually go antiquing. Not just sit in the comfort of my home and pick and choose off a website. I am always out and about anyway so I figured I might as well kill two birds with one stone. If I know what to look for then that'll help me. I figured I would still use something like google images to see what tools are made by manufacturers that ya'll post. I bet there will be some tools out there that I don't even realize are tools by just perusing antique shops. Having some heads up well help out in the long run.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is another rare find... Often found laying in the mud at large job sites...

156703_lg.gif

The "Heavy Duty Made in China" Pipe Wrenches...
They get thrown in the mud where they die...
Not even worth being carried to the dumpster.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tools

Even some "new" tools are antiques. The Ridgid rep showed me a tool once and asked if I knew what it was. I told him, "Of course, it is a RidJig" for holding tubing together while soldering it. He commented that only about 1 out of a 100 plumbers had even heard about it.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I think I saw that one today at the supply house. Has like two clamps on both side. I was wondering what it was used for. Now I bet it was the RidgJig.
I got a few of them "hard to find" made in china pipe wrenches. Last guy left it for me in the service vehicle when he quit. Any one have any ocean front property in AZ they want to get rid of¿

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tools

The real old stuff is glacier bay , very rare.

How rare can they be if Home Depot has racks and racks of them. The RidJig was two metal brackets with a spring between them to provide the tension.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks