How sturdy are wall mount toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Littlebrook

Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering replacing a rear-flush toilet that is currently mounted on a pedestal with a wall mount unit such as the American Standard Glenwall. I understand that I will need a wall carrier bolted to a very sturdy frame to hang the toilet. My question is, how much weight can you put on the toilet safely? Will it withstand abuse from say a 300-400 lb person? Also, when purchasing a carrier, is it better to buy one that bolts to the floor as well as the wall studs, or will ones that bolt to the wall suffice?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
carrier

Floor and wall mounts are the best, but few residential carriers are constructed that way. The rigidity depends ENTIRELY on how sturdy the wall is. The toilet can handle very heavy loads when installed correctly.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
HJ is right

The wall mounted toilets are only as good as the
walls that they are mounted to..

I dont like them at all ..... I had a special situation
once in a ladies room..... the office across from that
bathroom housed some very large heffers.....

I had to rig up some 3 inch PVC pipe braces to go
from the bottom of the bowl down to the tile floor
for extra support........
it was the only way to keep them from slamming
down and pulling the things loose from the wall.

how large is your wife???

Littlebrook

Reaction score
Actually I'm concerned about when my in-laws come over. They are both "heavy" and have various hip/knee issues which means that they are likely to just plonk themselves down onto the toilet rather than ease down onto it. If I use double studs in the wall, would this be strong enough to hold the weight?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
studs

Your studs are going to be at least 2x6, but 2x8 would be better. The stronger the wall is to resist flexing the sturdier the toilet will be. The main thing is to use all the nuts and washers when you set the toilet and follow the instructions as far as tightening the acorn nuts. Especially the one about the upper right nut.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't install wall mount on a residential home, it's in my opinion the wrong application for it.

glenwall_picture.jpg

Glenwall in a home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering replacing a rear-flush toilet that is currently mounted on a pedestal with a wall mount unit such as the American Standard Glenwall. I understand that I will need a wall carrier bolted to a very sturdy frame to hang the toilet. My question is, how much weight can you put on the toilet safely? Will it withstand abuse from say a 300-400 lb person? Also, when purchasing a carrier, is it better to buy one that bolts to the floor as well as the wall studs, or will ones that bolt to the wall suffice?

Thanks in advance

http://www.reliableliving.com/Tesseratoiletspecs.pdf

The good thing about a wall mount toilet is you can install it at whatever height is good for you. You are not restricted to common bowl heights. Set at the proper height they won't have to "flop" down on top of the bowl. The cost is considerable though compared to a standard toilet. I would recomment adding a grab bar if the toilet is adjacent to a wall. They can handle a lot of weight when installed properly.

Wall mount toilets that sag on the wall due to weight (usually commercial) are like that because the carrier is installed deep in the wall with long carrier bolts. The manufacturers sell support plates to support in that situation but the contractors usually forget to order and install them. They have to be installed before the wall goes up. With residential carrier systems that usually is not a problem.

Littlebrook

Reaction score
Toilet suggestions

Thanks for all the replies.

Master Plumber 101, the reason I would prefer a wall mount to a floor mount rear outlet toilet is that I wish to get rid of the pedestal which actually makes it harder for my in-laws to use because of their age and leg troubles. Since I cannot use a normal floor discharge toilet due to the height of the outlet to the septic, the wall mount is my only option (I don't want to install any type of upflush toilet).

I have recently seen a complete package for a Duravit Darling with Geberit in-wall tank carrier system. Can anyone comment on which would be better; an American Standard Glenwall with a Zurn carrier or the Duravit Darling with the Geberit carrier? Are the Geberit systems reliable or will I end up regretting the concealed tank system?

thanks

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
the Duravit Darling with the Geberit carrier? Are the Geberit systems reliable or will I end up regretting the concealed tank system?

thanks

I sell on average 50 inwall carriers a year and have not had one call back from a customer. I think in Canada we sell a lot more then the US but Europe sells nothing else.
The weight load for the inwall carrier is 880lbs.

Littlebrook

Reaction score
Just discovered a big problem with my plans to install a wall mount toilet. Seems that my main drain exits through the foundation walls at a height of 12 inches. The Glenwall has a rough-in height of 6 1/8" (for 16 1/2" bowl height). The Geberit carrier seems to have a maximum rough-in of 12" but this would likely leave the toilet bowl too high for comfort. Any ideas what I can do? I do not really want to use any sort of upflush system and I don't think an 8" pedestal for a floor-mount, rear flush is practical. I was thinking that I could install a wall mount toilet and then build up the floor a few inches to make it a more comfortable height.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks