Submersible loses volume and pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

lazer3691

Reaction score
I have an 85' well with a 1/2hp submersible about 14 years old. Static water level about 25'. It has been great for doing my irrigation and domestic until this year.

Now, it works good for my domestic water needs but when I use it for irrigation I suddenly have a problem. When it starts it works fine, but after about 5-10 minutes it dies down and looses pressure and volume. The sprinklers start surging and th pump sounds noisy. Then I have to shut it off to recover.

I've resized my sprinkler nozzles down to a 6-8gpm consumption, and now i can go about 20min before the problem starts again.

Any ideas on where to start?:confused:

Thank you in advance.......

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It probably happened gradually. If the static water level is still the same, the perforations or screen is clogging up. Screens usually clog gradually. You just don't see it until one day the well is only making 7 GPM, while you are trying to use 8 GPM.

lazer3691

Reaction score
Forgive me for asking a dumb question. :confused:

But is the screen on the pump, or the casing? Is it easily cleaned or replaced?

Is this a job for a pro?

Last edited:

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Who says the guy has a screened well? Screened wells only need to be placed at 15 to 20 feet beyond the static water level depending on the porosity of the water bearing material. I would bet the guy has an artesian well (slang around here for rock bored well). If that's the case i would consider hydro fracturing the well. Not a job for a DIY!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks