New Toilet Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, I've bought 4 toilets over the net. The factory packing is fine for when it's shipped on a pallet with 11 others, but not great singly. These people added foam in place padding, and another box and the things came through fine. Can't say what other places do. Better to find it locally. A local plumbing supply house can probably get it for you, then getting it is their problem, not yours. Price may not be much different, either.

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Redwood,.......yes I read the info in the links. Thanks!

Since I am in the area of the storm in Florida, I am pretty much sitting on my duff in my home office. Raining all day, and same for tomorrow.

Found out that the Ferguson location here can get the Toto line, although they are not a showroom. They carry Kohler in the showroom, and the woman was honest enough to tell me that even the new Gen6 line is still getting complaints about bowl rinse.
I asked for a price on the Soiree with the CEFIONTECT finish in biscuit.
Probably won't get it for a couple of days though.

I will need to check the rough-in measurements on the Toto though,.......I assume they are standard?
I have 12 inches off the wall to the bolts, and about 1.5" between the tank, and the wall, on the old Briggs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Soiree comes with the standard 12" Unifit for the drain.

The water supply needs to be 5" to the left of center.
Most plumbers put it at 6" anyway.

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Terry,
My supply is 7" left of the center of the trap, and about 5" up from the floor, so I presume I am good to go!

When I get a price,.......I will report back.
I also like the one-piece design, as it eliminates the tank gasket, and bolts, but I'm pretty sure my bad back won't like it as much!:)

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Finally got a price today,.......seems high to me, but what do I know.
That's why I am asking here!

Toto Soiree with CEFIONTECT in Biscuit color.
$879.75, plus $75.00 shipping,........plus tax.
$1,011.93 total for a toilet that I have to install myself.

This price is from Ferguson.
Am I simply out of the loop, or does this toilet do something special for me involving "suction", everytime I sit down?:D

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto Soiree with CEFIONTECT in Biscuit color.

In the Seattle area I sell them for $684 plus tax

White for $595

I don't get mine from Ferguson though.

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Terry,......do you ship?

If so, what would you estimate to 34470 zipcode.
If not, I understand, and still thank you for your help.

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Terry,..........one last question.
I have found a place with a reasonable price.

What are you considering "biscuit" as Toto does not show that on their site.
Is it the Sedona Beige #12?
Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto's color 12 is Sedona Beige = Biscuit = Linen

Toto's color 03 Bone = Almond = Bone

Toto's 01 Cotton White = most other whites except for A/S White
Toto's 11 Colonial White = A/S white in the last few years.

mwn007

Reaction score
RW, if you would read the post I did not say the Mansfield Alto,I said The Mansfield Summit. It has a 3" flush valve opening and has similar features as Toto. Besides the Toto water closet may have a geat flush but does not have a very appealing look to it. If you think I'm a counter guy your mistaken. Because we have a difference in opinion does not give you the right to insult me. If I have a opinion about Mansfield check your facts on the summit 3 before you critize me. I recently installed a Mansfield quantum air assist water closet and was pleased with the performance. As far as Marks Plumbing Supply there located in Texas and I'm in Wisconsin.

I am pleased with my Summit 3 installed in Wisconsin. Works great! The summit is not a builders model but only carries a small price premium. About Half the cost of a DRAKE.

Last edited by a moderator:

lbohen

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum (today) and a homeowner in Richmond, Vermont. I am in the market for at least one, possibly two toilets for an addition. I've read all the posts in this thread and conclude that Toto is the manufacturer of choice. We have two Totos in our home and except for one of the top lids loosing its "air" they have been trouble-free. All toilets I've ever had have been trouble-free except for replacing flushing mechanisms.

I went to ConsumerReports.org for their opinion. Their August 2009 review showed American Standard Champion 4 ($425) in the number one spot and Kohler Complete Solution Cimarron ($350) as number two. Toto Eco Drake ($400) was at number nine.

Top Rated dual flush by Consumer Reports

I would appreciate comments about the Consumer Reports conclusions and why Toto Drake would not have rated higher.

Thanks in advance.

This may be one reason that Consumer Reports makes a point of disagreeing with Terry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Over the years, most of the top picks on toilets from CR have been dogs in one manner or the other. One thing they rate highly is the grams of stuff flushed. Some of the manufacturers have optimized their designs to flush the max of the plastic wrapped paste. This is not the same as the real thing, and real-world results show different results. Medical reports indicate anything over 500g is plenty (unless you have a medical condition that produces exceptionally long, hard stools then none of these work). Then, CR doesn't take into consideration the availability of repair parts, bowl wash, or splashing, or noise, or quality control. Real-world tests show that Toto has the lowest defect rate out of the factory and readily available parts, and they just work. Yes, you can get one of the others, but you need to play QA/QC inspector yourself. Terry actually uses the toilets he rates, then he sells thousands a year, and he reports the lowest problems, highest add-on repeat sales, and highest satisfication of Totos, of all the different brands he sells. Personally, I've got a couple, put a couple in my mother's house (don't want complaints from her!), and have been very satisfied. Toto is also the largest manufacturer of toilets in the world, and does have a factory in Georgia (but not all models come from there). Many of the US brands no longer are made here, so you can't use that as a buying point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks