Joining vent pipes in attic

Users who are viewing this thread

muzz

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2" vent protruding thru my roof now, have added a 3" vent with a bath remodel that is waiting to be finished capped in the attic. My original plan was to tie both of these in together and run thru the roof in the existing hole, it would mean a 5' horizontal run with the 3". I am reconsidering this, now thinking I should run the 3" straight thru the roof, not a fan of putting another hole in the roof, but...
Should I:
--leave the 1 1/2 as is; run the 3" straight thru (would it make sense to tie the 1 1/2 in horizontal anyway?)
--take out the 1 1/2 thru the roof and repair the hole in the roof and vent the 5 feet horizontal over to the 3"
I live in Minnesota, and the weather can be severe, I believe that the smaller pipe frosted up in the winter, or got plugged with snow in the heavy snow years.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure where you live, but most parts of the country require 4" through the roof.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I live in Minnesota, and the weather can be severe, I believe that the smaller pipe frosted up in the winter, or got plugged with snow in the heavy snow years.

Then I would go with the larger pipe.

I'm in the Seattle area, so the concerns are not the same. Unless we are plumbing at the ski areas.

muzz

Reaction score
so you are saying to take out the 1 1/2, or could I leave it and tie the two in?

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Patch the hole for the 1-1/2" one, run it over to the new pipe. You might consider bumping the penetration to 4".

muzz

Reaction score
thanks jadnashua, I guess I was hoping to leave the 1 1/2, but it makes sense to take it out.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to put a new penetration through the roof and simply go straight up.

Running from one pipe to another requires support and grading, and probably uses more pipe and fittings. If you were putting in a newer, smaller pipe it might be different, particularly if your roof has clay tile or shakes on it. But if it's shingles, cut a hole and flash it, fer crineoutloud. You have to make a bigger hole anyway.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Or, you could make the existing hole bigger and join there. Or just put a second hole in the roof.

muzz

Reaction score
The reason I was considering tying them in was because of the years that we get heavy snow, the small vent may get plugged or frosted over for a period of time; I thought that tying in to the bigger vent would take care of that? I figured it would be better to go straight up with the 3" rather than doing a horizontal to the smaller and tying in there. Its only a 5 foot run...

Thanks for all the input.

muzz

Reaction score
HJ, could you enlighten me? Curious to know what you have. I still have some time before I am going to tackle this; the weather has turned hot here for some strange reason, been pretty cool all summer. Enjoying it while I can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks