Transition fitting from CPVC to PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

bingo

Reaction score
Hi

I'm remodeling a bath and in the wall I am suprised to see CPVC running up to the shower valve. The rest of the house is copper so I'm guessing this was an earlier remodel.
The CPVC is in pretty a poorly braced condition and since I have to replace and relocate the valve I want to get rid of the CPVC > I was hoping to cut out as much of the 1/2" CPVC as I can see and replace it with properly braced copper or PEX up to the valve (I've done plenty of both).

I'm totally inexperienced with CPVC! What fitting do you suggest that I use to go from CPVC to PEX (I use Wirsbo/Uponor/Aquapex fittings using a manual expander.) The shark bite things?

Alternatively, what do I use to go to copper...of course I can't expect to solder to it or it will melt! So I would guess I'd have to glue on a female thread onto the CPVC into which I would put a male 1/2' threaded copper end. But from there, how do I solder it without the heat affecting the CPVC?

Thanks in advance,

bingo

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can not use a plastic female fitting. Whatever you screw into it, will split it. Any inspector will make you take it out.
Which is the nicest thing possible they can do.
You will be taking it out at some point, usually after it has ruined your floors.

Sharkbites will work as transistions between
copper x PEX
copper x CPVC
PEX x CPVC
Did I miss any?
Oh Yeah, Female copper Female Adapter x CPVC Male adapter. "added Sunday morning"
Female copper adapter x PEX male.

I like running copper to the valve, at least enough so I can strap it to something.

cpvc-male-adapter-terrylove.jpg

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would probably put a CPVC male adaptor on the pipe and a PEX female on the PEX pipe.

cpvc-male-adapter-terrylove.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That's a Female CPVC fitting that cracks, the male fitting holds up just fine.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep, that's probably better than the std male adaptor. Truthfully I never use CPVC so I don't keep up on the available fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Sharkbites will work as transistions between
copper x PEX
copper x CPVC
PEX x CPVC
Did I miss any?
Oh Yeah, Female copper Female Adapter x CPVC Male adapter. "added Sunday morning"
Female copper adapter x PEX male.

I like running copper to the valve, at least enough so I can strap it to something.

Sharkbites allow transitioning from Qest, too.

bingo

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks....so would that thing proposed by Redwood and seconded by Terry be a standard/widely available item (ie Big Orange Box) or do I need to make the separate trip to my plumbing house?

Would it just be called a CPVC to brass male thread adapter? CPVC takes a specific adhesive, right?

thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know if big box has them or, not. I really see very little CPVC usage here. Yes, CPVC requires the use of a CPVC cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks