Tub/Shower Valve Height

Users who are viewing this thread

yoyoma

Reaction score
The plumber asked me what I wanted and I said make it 48" high. It's a hansgrohe thermobalance II for tub and handshower. My thinking was that the bath is rarely used, and when it's used it's to initially fill it up, and then access to the valve would not be needed once in the tub. Is it weird to have the valve at 48" high for a tub/shower? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only hassle I can see is if you were taking a long bath and wanted to add some hot to extend it, or you sit in the tub while it is filling. You'd have to stand up to do it rather than lean forward. When showering, bending over to adjust or turn it off isn't a big deal.

Putting it high for a shower only is the norm; not for a tub/shower.

yoyoma

Reaction score
Ah, so I messed up. I hope I didn't also mess up by putting the outlet for the hose 12" below the valve. Is that normal?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

I would have put it 42" above the shower floor and the hand held outlet 6" above and to the side of it, but that is strictly a personal preference, not chiseled in stone.

yoyoma

Reaction score
You put the outlet for the handheld shower 12" below the valve?

Yes. Is that bad?

I would have put it 42" above the shower floor

OK, so I'm only off by 6" then. Not as bad.

and the hand held outlet 6" above and to the side of it.

I was thinking of doing that, but then where the hose would bend would cross the valve trim a bit. (assuming using a wall bar with handheld shower at lowest height) I have the valve offset to the right side since there will be a wall bar in the middle. By having the outlet underneath the hose will then flex inward away from the valve. That was my thinking anyway.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

That is why it is off to the side so it does not cross in front of the plate. Usually we center the valve and then put the rail and elbow to the side so the hose does not hang in front of the valve. Since the handheld can swivel being off center is usually not a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks