1973 Kohler Toilet doesn't 'Swallow' properly..

Users who are viewing this thread

Nana Beans

Reaction score
My neighbors are tired of having to multiple flush their 30 year old toilets that have NEVER 'swallowed' properly.... Down through years, they have repeatedly pursued a cure, & while some local plumbers & Plumbing Suppliers have indicated an awareness of this problem in early 1970's models Kohlers... no one has ever came up with a solution. (Since the toilets were manufactured in 1973, DURING the long drawn out 'Kohler strike period' my neighbors have always wondered IF the malfunction is due to some type of a manufacturing/assembling error by an inept worker.) Does anyone HAVE a solution??
Thank You!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the new low-flow (1.6 gallon) toilets work quite well (not all by any means). If your vent is not as close as it should be to the toilet, that also could be the source of the problem. So, it could be a lousy design, or it could be a plumbing installation problem, a combination of both, or someone may have an idea not presented here!

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Poor Flushing Toilet

Most toilets can be rebuilt/repaired to operate like when they were brand new. Some need to be acid washed to clean out mineral deposit build up that can restrict flushing power. I find that for the most part 3.5 gpf toilets flush very well, never heard of a certain year toilet malfunctioning although most new toilets after 1992 do flush poorly unless you do reseach when buying a new one.

Nana Beans

Reaction score
Thanks!! BUT I guess I failed to make myself clear... Sorry!

From the DAY they were installed TWO of their three identical toilets have NEVER 'swallowed' properly.... The toilets were new when my neighbors built their home in 1973...

Unfortunately, as was the rage back then, they MATCHED their bathroom tile colors to their toilets, (one is green & the other gold) and none of the color options currently available are 'right'..... and white is too 'hospital' stark looking.

When they were telling me about it this morning, I remembered seeing this website.... AND I was hoping that someone here MIGHT have encountered a similiar scenario and found a workable solution.... otherwise I guess they will just to continue on with the double/triple flushing.... to get the job done.

<sigh>

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a 5-gallon pail and when you need to flush something next time, pour it in rather than pushing the flush lever. See how well it flushes. The thing may just not be getting the design amount of water during the flush (the other alternative is that it is being blocked somehow - either a poorly designed vent or drain system - course it could be just a lousy toilet, too).

Also, double check all of the 3 toilets and see if the height of the water is up to the fill line or significantly different (they should be the same if they are the same model). This is often a moulded in mark in the tank. If there isn't anything, then see if the water is about 1/2-1" below the top of the bowl fill tube (the pipe that sticks up and the small hose/pipe runs into while the tank is refilling). The bowl fill tub does put water into the bowl? If the bowl water level is low because it doesn't get filled properly, that makes for a messier bowl, and deficient in the amount of water required to get the design flush.

If they aren't all the same model (you implied they were all the same make, but maybe not the same model?), then it may just be a characteristic of that particular model.

If you've got a drain/vent problem, a new toilet will not help. If you've got a lousy toilet, you may have to just try a new one - they do come in other colors than white! (but they cost more).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tpilets

During the strike I found many items that were "sabotaged". In one case paper towels had been shoved into the toilets rim channel. It that had been their problem, however, 30 years should have been enough to dissolve them. But many other things could have been done to give a bad flushing toilet.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
No Seep

I've not had problems with l970's Kohlers. My prejudice makes me think there are no seep bowl waxes. If they flush liquid's ok but not the solids.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks