Hose Bib Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
My novel was posted after some new responses,........so I presume that I am correct in the fact that what I do, is of no danger without them.

I have decided to be a good citizen though, as stated, and replace them.

Last question,........since these things are so important.
How do you test them for proper operation? Or do you simply assume they are working, until a situation like I have happens?

I am used to the "blow-off" when you turn off the bib,.......but I know they aren't supposed to leak constantly when on.

I am simply trying to learn here!
BTW,........I can't believe there are folks that would leave a Miracle Grow feeder, or a pesticide sprayer hooked up to a hose,........drop it on the ground, and leave the bib on for days.

Guess I see the reason for them now. Sometimes I have trouble realizing there are people out there among us that dumb.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not necessaraly dumb. maybe the phone rings and they forget, or there's some emergency they need to attend to. Most accidents are just that, and accident.

Easy way to test. turn off the hose and then lift it up above the vac breaker. water should come out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unfortunately the locations of mine rule out accessing the valve from the inside wall
Nothing is impossible....often not easy. Welcome to home ownership!
, as one has a marble shower wall opposite it, and the other one has a roman tub sitting on the other side.

That leaves me with the choice of finding a way to get the defective ones off, or knocking a large access in my exterior stucco,
This would actually be a relatively easy to do and easy to fix method of accessl
and block, to be able to replace the bibs. Can it be done,.........sure, but I hate to have to go through all of that to replace a simple spin on appliance.
Yes, I understand that some folks are "idiots", and I guess I understand why they were made non-removable due to that fact.

Where you guys have me confused though is on the contamination possibility in my situation. My fiancee gets me to haul the hose out there if she needs it for something, and I have no kids,...............also no "illegals" around. I live in a rural area where everyone has 1.5 to 10 acres. I turn off the bib when I am finished, and roll up the hose, and store it in my outbuilding, until the next use.
Now,..........IF that bib is turned off, and the backflow device is after the valve stem, as these things are,...........how can something in my well malfunction, and draw anything into my house plumbing
ANYTHIHNG can malfunction. It is not the problem of drawing something into your house. It is the problem of drawing something nasty through your hose into the municipal, or in your case, the well system.
, or the well itself by that device not being installed?
Not being a "wiseacre", I just don't understand how that is possible in my specific situation?
Odds are at least even, that when this admittedly rare siphon situation happens, the bibb washer, absent system pressure, will lift off the seat enough to leak by. The referenced articles about DEAD PEOPLE should be enough to convince you that this is a problem worth avoiding
Aren't these things simply to prevent a "vacuum" so to speak from being pulled into the house plumbing if it loses pressure? If the bib is closed, it can't do that,

............and even if it was open all it could pull is air with no hose attached. I said before that I am not a plumber, and you are losing me on this part of it.

Anyway, I will try to cut them with a Dremel, or my 4.5" grinder,.............but I WILL replace them. I just WON'T break the bolt heads off! At least not unless I were to sell the house!:)
Thanks again.

see red notes

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Jimbo buddy, sorry but I think this one's a done deal. Nice response though.;)

Was going to make a much longer response, but it is not worth the typing time.

I asked questions to learn, and will be replacing the backflow devices whether I really need them or not. Believe I said that previously.
I will try the cutting process first,.........and if needed, I will knock out the block.

I am a longstanding member of a firearm forum board,.......so I am used to seeing this behavior towards "newbies", by a select few.

Once again, I thank ALL for their contributions!:)

arrowhead_breaker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I agree,the wise ass answers wern't needed. You never mentioned doing anything wrong. I'm also guilty of the same! Sorry,:) please Come anytime

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I agree,the wise ass answers wern't needed. You never mentioned doing anything wrong. I'm also guilty of the same! Sorry,:) please Come anytime
You have nothing to apologize for,.........nobody does!:)
I can take it.
Can't run your own business for 17 years if you are sensitive enough to break down over a forum response.

I am actually going to be following your advice with my Makita 4.5" grinder with a cutoff wheel.

I have about 8,000 posts on the board that I spoke of, as I am an avid "shooter",........just mentioned the fact that the behavior goes across the board on the internet forums.
Thanks again to all, and unless I run into issues,.........I will leave all of you fine folks alone for a bit.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry there Marc, you took that the wrong way. I was referring to your post that said you would put the vac breaker on but not break off the screw which seems like a good solution and therefore should end the discussion.

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Sorry there Marc, you took that the wrong way. I was referring to your post that said you would put the vac breaker on but not break off the screw which seems like a good solution and therefore should end the discussion.

Sorry on my end nhmaster,......I now see what you meant.
The same as Terry.

I appreciate even the criticism from you. You made me think about something that I know little about.
Thanks again, and yes,......this is now a closed issue,...........unless I need more help!:)

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Here's the situation: you put out a lawn sprinkler and turn it on. You've recently fertilized your lawn. You go to the store. The power goes out. Your foot valve in your well does not hold. Water begins to siphon from the puddle on your lawn through the hose then through the system and then into the well. You have now contaminated not only your well with fertilizer, you have also contaminated the aquifer and put others in danger. That's only one scenario. Just because you cannot imagine what can happen does not mean that nothing can happen.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
.........also no "illegals" around. .

Maybe not now, but trust me on this....you will have...soon. We have a surplus here in Southern California, and some sheriffs are BUSSING THEM OUT OF STATE! Besides, there is now a shortage of bicycle rack parking in front of all the 7-elevens. So a lot of them have decided to move to the country....Oregon, Idaho, etc etc.....

rjicard

Reaction score
hose Bib Question cont

Mine have the anti-vacuum device and are spurting water everywhere when turned on. These do not have a set screw holding the device to the bib. How do I take them off to replace them?

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Faucets with back flow prevention is a good thing.
The gray matter may have a hard time with the concept, because you haven't gotten sick from your water yet.
You just need to take a trip where they are very casual about their water. Diarrhea makes for a pleasant trip, as long as you don't die from whatever you are catching.
legend_hosebib.jpg

Interesting thread, glad it was brought back up
I wanted Frost free outdoor faucets
My plumber installed 2 that look just like the pics Terry posted
So my hoses are protected?

But it seems from the Watts article I should have whole house protection - the Watts Backflow preventer?
Is that the correct name?
I checked & there is one on the water feed to the boiler
What else can back siphon?
When we redo the kitchen the sink will move & a dishwasher installed. I've been keeping a running list of other things I want the plumber to do while he is here

If I had known I would have had him install one when he redid the main valve & redid the piping from 1/2" to 3/4"
I'm a little surprised he didn't mention/or suggest it
Is it required by code?

Last edited:

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Mine have the anti-vacuum device and are spurting water everywhere when turned on. These do not have a set screw holding the device to the bib. How do I take them off to replace them?

You most likely have the same type as I do,.....they simply screw on.
Whether you see it or not, there IS a set screw somewhere on the body.
You probably don't see it as the installer broke it off.
Try what I did, and cut them off with a grinder with a metal cutting blade.

Safety glasses, and a slow hand, and you can break the brass body right in half with a screwdriver.
When you install the new ones just don't break off the set screw, and spray it with some oil from time to time to keep it from rusting.

arrowhead_breaker2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteD

Reaction score
My plumber installed 2 that look just like the pics Terry posted
So my hoses are protected?

I can answer this part - yes those are equipped with vacuum break. The water will drain out from under the protrusion on top.

Pete

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
I can answer this part - yes those are equipped with vacuum break. The water will drain out from under the protrusion on top.

Pete

The water will drain out of the vacuum break? It used to be that the vacuum break prevented water backflow into the water pipe by letting in air during backflow conditions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks