Caulking behind Three Piece Mirolin Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

mdpitt

Reaction score
I recently installed a Three Piece Acrylic Mirolin Shower, part of the instructions said to caulk behind the unit were the pieces join, as this is a retro fit into an existing house how would anyone do that and is it 100% necessary, of course I don't want moisture behind the unit and putting caulking on the facing side sort of takes the look and appeal aware from having this type of unit, however, will my bathroom fan (120cfm) be enough to pull that moist air out of the room, thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
caulk

Do the pieces overlap? If so put the caulk on the back side of the overlap. Even in a new house you could not get behind it if it were next to an outside wall. What does the fan have to do with keeping the shower from leaking, which is the purpose of the caulk.

mdpitt

Reaction score
Yes the piece overlaps about 3 inches, I was thinking the pupose of the caulking was to make a vapor barior between the unit and walls behind it, I not sure if the caulking is realy nessesatry? (thanks for replying so quickly)

mdpitt

Reaction score
Oh, Also I mentioned the fan so that that elps suck moister out of the bathroom, I guess my concern is will moist air get under the overlaps and cause problems?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks