Need suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

edlentz

Reaction score
I am remodeling my kitchen. I have almost all the electrical done but the undercabinet light wiring is baffling me. I purchased some LED light sticks. Basically they are 19" long with a double line of bright white LEDs. they use 120vac so there aren't any transformers. They surface mount and have a hard wired plug on one end. So the question is, how would any of you guys install these. I have run a switched circuit for them. I have thought about putting a box in the upper cabinet with a small grommet and making a splice to the power that way. What would you all do? I would like to hide as much as possible.

Thanks

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not a sparky for good reason, but I can tell you what I've seen sparkys do. Where your connection is they will stub out of the wall as high as possible underneath cabinet with ROMEX® 14-2. Make sure enough ROMEX® is stubbed out of wall. BE ADVISED I AM NOT A SPARKY ONLY RELAYING WHAT I HAVE SEEN ON JOBS. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

edlentz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought of that but how do they make a connection without a box or a wiring enclosure? My lights have only a plug.

Chestnuts

DIY Member
Reaction score
Here is what I did in my kitchen remodel almost 2 years ago. I installed an outlet in the cabinet above the sink. I then had each outlet wired to be controlled by a different switch. You can see the switches to the right of the sink. On outlet controls the floursecent light above the sink and the other switch is for the under cabinets lights (whenever we both can decide on which ones to install).

Attachments

• DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 756
  • DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 722
  • DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 774

edlentz

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Chestnuts. That is pretty much what I thought I would have to do, and I have wired something like that already. I am hoping to come up with a more concealed idea. Having a outlet in the cabinet isn't pleasing the missus.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
light

What kind of connection is the wire into the light. Usually it is the same as a ROMEX® connector. If so, just remove the wire and connect the ROMEX® to the light.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another option you have is they make "clock outlets". They look like this...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31sYUJDc4AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

These are for installing electric clocks on a wall so the clock will sit flush to the wall.

This would allow the plug to recess a bit giving more room in the cabinet. (Need a deep box for this.) I don't know if they sell these at box stores like "Home Deplete Your Bank Account". Might need to go to an electrical supply house.

Then also you can shorten the plug-wire going to the fixture, then you would not have that coil of wire in the cabinet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks