(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kitchen sink clogged

Default Kitchen sink clogged

My kitchen sink won't drain. The drain runs through an old disposal, then into a trap and down a drain pipe. I pulled the trap off and the sink drained. Thing is, there was no water in the drain pipe (at least none that I could feel). Am I just not reaching in far enough to check for water, or could my disposal be bad? I managed to get a snake about two feet down, but I'm not sure that that would be far enough if there is a clog.

last question, If there is a clog, it would be from potato peels my wife pushed down the thing (I know not supposed to put potato down a disposal). Is there something I can pour down the thing that would dissolve the potato?

Find the drain in the basement and get a snake that will run the full length. It will not be easy.

If not call a pro.

I shove potato peels down with no probs. The trick is not to stuff a full dinners worth down at once. Run the disposer and feed the peels into it while running lots of water to push the stuff down.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

A. Do NOT pour any caustic drain cleaner down it, such as Drano.
    B. Use a good non-caustic enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare and follow the directions on the jug.
    It will eat out (dissolve) all organic gunk, but won't harm the sink, fixtures or pipes (or your skin and eyes like a caustic cleaner will).
    Good Luck!
    Mike

I would have suggested the enzymes, but they would not reach the peels. Well I have not found any that would work fast.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

I'm willing to let it sit for a day to clear the drain. Will the enzymes get past the trap? How long will it take them to work?

Is the water moving down slowly? If you had water in the bowl will it drain slowly down? If so the enzymes might reach it.

In the end, I tried a home remedy: 1 cup baking soda, 3/4 cup vinegar, 1 cup salt. I didn't have enough so I went with 1/2, 1/2, 1/2. It fizzed nicely. We checked on it after about half an hour and the water was lower. After about an hour, it drained nicely. Thanks for the help and suggestions!