Pedestal sinks. Pain in rear!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have always hated installing pedestal sinks. Connecting trap from behind is always a pain, especialy when you have big meet hooks like I do. The biggest pain is anchoring sink to wall. It seems as if each manufacter as there own brilliant idea on how to fasten to wall. Write back if you feel the same or don't.:mad:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I dislike them so much I charge very high to install them...so high most people will go else where...I make exceptions in pricing for regular customers but it is still a high price, I try and talk them out of it before they purchase them.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just when I thought they were out...They came back again.

I really like the glacier bay ones. They are of the finest china made in china available and sometimes when you open the box they aren't even broken.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Then what do you like installing?

Vanities or just plain old wall hung?

As a DIYer, I always feel that vanities are cheating but I do love 'em.

In England, most of the sinks there are pedestal or just plain wall-hung and are a pain to fit. Another reason why there, you call a plumber to do your plumbing.

So, come on boys. Quit complaining and fit pedestals. That's what people hire you for! If it was easy then they would DIT!

I am gonna be shouted at now........;)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So, come on boys. Quit complaining and fit pedestals. That's what people hire you for! If it was easy then they would DIT!

Ian,
The trouble that plumbers have, is what to quote "before" you do the job on a pedestal.
Most of the time, it takes longer than the guess.
And then sometimes, they break during installation.
So really, it's the time, plus the insurance for incidental breakage, time to run to hardware stores to pick up different bolts to install with, and then finding out that the drain connection was never set up for a pedestal installation.

The bolts that come with pedestals, I just throw out immediately.
I pick up coach screws and anchors.
The wood screw end goes in the wall, hopefully into wood, if there is no wood, the wall anchors help.
The machine threads are for the lav side with big fender washers.
That way I can set the lav to the wall, throw on the fender washers, and thread on the nuts by hand. They are just to hold the bowl to the wall.

A base cabinet hides a multitude of plumbing sins.
The drain and supplies can be most anywhere, and still work.
With the door closed, it looks neat and tidy in the room.
A pedestal rough-in, needs to be planed before the drywall is ever put on, and even better before the framing.

Last edited:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess why I bring this up is because there are few pedestals that have a decient anchoring system. If the home owner purchases the fixture they end up buying the cheapest one to save money. There not terrible when properly planned for. What brings this about is a recent install. The fix. came with no wall bracket (not uncommon), and the anchoring holes as high as they could be on the underside of sink. I'm just saying the manufactuer can try to place the anchoring in a reachable location.

Death is God's way of saying he's had enough of your crap.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I tend to jack the price up. Then explain why they are such a pain to the point the home owner changes there mind.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think Pedestal sinks are good for business...

I charge more to install them because they are a PITA.

Customers who have no storage space then put shelves up over the toilet. Stuff falls off those shelves into the toilet and I get to auger it out and make even more money...:cool:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I like vanities personally. You get all that room under the cabinet to stuff crap. What I have against pedistals is the usual stuff, crappy quality, near impossible to get at hangers.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
here's the usual situation. You have roughed the lavs in based on the contractors assurance that the fixture would be a drop in lav in a cabinet with drawers on one side, so you favor the other side with the drain to miss the drawers. Then come finish time the home owner decides to show up on site with an suv filled with glacier bay pedistals and faucets. Welcome to the life of a plumber:D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And an all in one low profile toilet!:eek:

Then call you complaining that it doesn't flush well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks