Deep Well Jet Pump Problems - Pump or Ejector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Syclone354

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a deep well jet pump system in my house. Ive only owned the house for about 1 1/2 years so im not very familiar with the system. In my research of what I have it appears I have a 25+ year old Gould 1/2 hp deep well pump.

I noticed about a week ago that we didnt have very good water pressure and went to investigate. Thats when i found that the pump was running non-stop, but never building pressure above 26lbs. I adjusted the switch (its a single adjustment switch with a 20lb interval between on and off) and the pump shut off and my water pressure held at 26lbs. it will hold pressure indefinitely, but if you fire up the pump it never will make more than 26lbs of pressure. With the current adjustment the pump shuts off at around 25lbs and turns on when there is almost no water pressure left. I dont want to leave it that way for fear of losing prime, but I also dont want the pump turning on and never turning off (bad for my electric bill).

My question is this, is this problem likely caused by a old and failing pump, or is it a problem with the ejector and jet that is down in the well. Judging by the age of the jet pump, my first instinct is to replace the pump and the ejector down in the well except for one problem. I have been told that my well is under my paved driveway and there is no easy access to it. I havent yet confirmed that but it really makes me worried about what it will take to solve this problem. At the moment, I am having to go and adjust the switch to keep the pump on all the time when we are using the shower or clothes washer and then turn the switch back down for general toilet/sink use.

Anyone who can shed more information on this problem feel free, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Tom

Speedbump

Reaction score
It is your jet that is plugged. This is common after all those years. The scale builds up on the pipes, in the Pump and everywhere else. One little piece of iron or sulphur scale the size of a pencil eraser is more than enough to plug the jet.

To be perfectly honest, for the age of the Well and Pump, I would be looking into drilling another well. Installing all new equipment etc.

bob...

Syclone354

Reaction score
Thats what i was afraid of. I have no idea why you would need to drill a whole new well though. How much do those jet assemblies typically cost? If my well was easily accessible this wouldnt seem like too big of a job, but if its truely under my driveway :rolleyes: it looks like im in for a treat

Speedbump

Reaction score
The Jet is cheap, but that's not the problem. Once scale starts plugging jets, in order to make it stop plugging, you must replace everything but the casing. Then the casing will be the next thing to go. Now you have all this new equipment that can't be used with the new 4 or 5" well which will be outfitted with a Submersible Pump

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You could check with a Goulds dealer or distributor and see if a new pump would work with the jet from your old pump; they a 'married' to each other but it's possible to reuse an old j-body/jet. And you could have them tear the pump apart to check it out first, otherwise....

Finding a buried well is not easy. Under a driveway is more difficult. Then digging up a driveway to get to a well is not a desirable thing to do but... the only other choice is a new well. But I wouldn't like a 4" or 5", it would be a 6" if possible, pumps don't get stuck in them near as often as the smaller diameter types.

If you dig up the driveway, I strongly suggest bringing the casing up to grade and allowing for future entry into the well without digging. You could hide the patch by painting the family crest over'n around it. :) Or make it outa colored to match the siding stamped concrete...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks