Silestone install problem/question

Users who are viewing this thread

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
After waiting 24 hours for the adhesive to cure after our Silestone countertop install we had our plumbing done and our slide-in range lowered. Upon lowering the range, it became noticeable that our overhangs are off (slide-in ranges are supposed to be flush with the overhang with the sides of the control panel cupping the half bullnose edge.) We ordered 1.5 inch overhangs, but our overhangs vary from 1 11/16 " down to 1 1/16". Anyway, because of numerous other shoddy install problems, with the incorrect overhangs being the worst, instead of taking them up on their offer to remove everything and reinstalling I want to ask for a discount. I am willing to live with the gap on the right side of my range versus risking some of my top-of-the-line all plywood base cabinets getting damaged when they pull the glued tops off of them, plus having to reskim and repaint the walls which I already had fixed after they messed them up during the install of the backsplashes, plus having to disconnect my drain lines so the counter can be shifted and then have the correct size pipe cut and reconnected.

What type of discount do you think I should request? Would you risk damage to your cabinets and more to your walls given the fact that the company told me they would not fix my base cabinets if they got damaged but they "move countertops all the time and don't think that will happen" (I'm thinking if they move countertops all the time they sure are making a lot of mistakes!!)

Chestnuts

DIY Member
Reaction score
I remodeled my kitchen almost 2 years ago. I had buddy help me install all the cabinets - base and wall. I told my wife that I would have the countertop professionally installed just in case of a screw up.
First they ordered the wrong edge on the countertop for another customer with the same design and color we wanted. They offered a discount if we would accept it and we did. They messed up the 45 degree cut in the countertop and had to take it out and re-install it. I also felt like the sink cut out was too big for the sink we installed. This company came and took measurements for the countertop and I even had the sink there for them to measure for the cut out. Then 2 weeks later, we noticed a 3" crack in the countertop. We called the company out to look at the crack. They decided to replace the whole countertop with the correct edge at no cost to us.

They removed and re-installed the sink and all the connections including sealing the sink edges. They did not do any damage to the cabinets. I was really impressed with the work they did the 3rd time. The first installers were not as experienced as the last ones. The company admitted that to my wife when they installed the new countertop.

I would say that no counter installers are 100%. I am sure almost everyone of them have had to install a countertop a couple of times to get it perfect. My $.01 is to let them fix the problems. Be upfront with them in what you expect for them to fix if they mess up the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tops

The discount/rebate will only last until you spend it for something else, but the defects will be there forever. Get it in writing that they will repair/replace any damaged cabinets and then have the tops redone properly.

John_R

Architect
Reaction score
Website
www.SpeakeasyMedia.org
We just had a Silestone counter installed last week. No problems except they installed a piece of wood across the back of the undermount SS sink to hold it up, and it interfered with the faucet mounting hardware. I got out my angle grinder and lopped off about 1/4" of the large washer that goes up against the bottom of the countertop, and that took care of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks