(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many neutral conductors do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    So could someone give me a step-by-step guide, with NEC citations, as to how to proceed if I want to have 1 20A 240V circuit, and 2 20A 120V circuits, with a maximum load of 24A total, in an unattached shed 50' from the house?
    Art 225. is a pretty short and easy section to follow, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alectrician View Post
    That's all I have on my truck

Assuming no metalic piping to a "shed"..........right?
    You still need a grounding electrode system. unless of course you only ran 1 circuit out to the structure.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    No, step one in the answers is "You need to install a subpanel." Now, go on to step 2...
    No.

Even someone as loving and patient as me gets tired of holding DIYer's hands through jobs they are not knowledgeable enough to do.

If you need "a step-by-step guide" to installing a sub-panel maybe it's a job better left to a pro.
    I don't ask my accountant for a a step-by-step guide to doing my taxes. SHE is the pro, I let her do them.

If I am wrong about you sorry, there is a lot of good (and some not so good) information out there. You just need to figure out which is which.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
    You still need a grounding electrode system. unless of course you only ran 1 circuit out to the structure.
    Right!

Didn't we go over this already?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Right!

Didn't we go over this already?
    O'yeah, lots of times.

I thought I learned from the message boards that no ground rod was needed if there was no piping that connected the structures. My bad.

Even someone as loving and patient as me gets tired of holding DIYer's hands through jobs they are not knowledgeable enough to do.
    Heh heh....good one. When I hear "loving and patient" I automatically think of you. You might want to take a break from the DIY boards and go to your happy place.

BTW, I think the guy could handle the job.
    Last edited by Alectrician; 08-17-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alectrician View Post
    I thought I learned from the message boards that no ground rod was needed if there was no piping that connected the structures. My bad.
    This has been NEC 250.32 for quite a long time. Even before internet message boards.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    If you need "a step-by-step guide" to installing a sub-panel maybe it's a job better left to a pro.
    I don't ask my accountant for a a step-by-step guide to doing my taxes. SHE is the pro, I let her do them.
    Interesting parallel. Just as the tax code is pretty useless in helping someone prepare his taxes, the NEC is pretty useless in guiding someone through even simple electrical work. Kind of like using a dictionary to learn a foreign language.

There are lots of DIYers out there who are perfectly capable of following clear directions, and those who like to know the code which resulted in those directions deserve extra credit, IMHO. This forum could be a valuable resource to provide that guidance.

Having said that, even I am appalled at some of the ignorance displayed in the questions asked...