Freezing PVC ball valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Thread head

Reaction score
An issue we dont have much here in Australia is freezing conditions. Can I get some advise on whether or not PVC ball valves will last or not, outside? Would you use one in a water barrel?
Cheers.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello from Wisconsin MATE,

PVC ball valves are probably your best bet. There less corrisive if at all, the only thing possibly is if they sit in direct sunlight.Cheers mate.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
An issue we dont have much here in Australia is freezing conditions. Can I get some advise on whether or not PVC ball valves will last or not, outside? Would you use one in a water barrel?
Cheers.

I'm not sure how you prevent fresh water from freezing if it is not heated or insulated.

I had a project where people wanted to withdraw water from a large tank, with no risk that someone would leave the valve open. Small barrel valves had too little flow.

I installed a brass check valve with a line to lift the poppet. You can use a line or thin rod to lift the poppet. I soldered a small loop into a small hole on the pressure side of the poppet as a lift point.

It works great and provides high flow with automatic shutoff when it is released. The setup had a standpipe higher than the water level in the tank so there was no need to seal the line lifting the poppet.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In my first experience with cold weather property (my summer mountain cabin) I installed a ball valve for my water heater.

I made the mistake of closing it....I guess before I drained the system for the winter.

The water that was trapped in the ball apparently froze and split the valve body. The T&P valve coincidentally? failed also.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I read the gentleman's question correctly, he indicates that where he lives in Australia there is no freezing problems. This would mean he lives somewhere in the northern part of the continent which is getting close to the equator. A ball valve should work just fine in that climate. Any valve can or will freeze in cold climates, I don't know that a ball valve would be any worse than any other kind if it was left undrained. Water is a powerful force when it freezes!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

PVC ball valves will sieze over time when the "O" rings dry out and adhere to the ball. Then the valve handle breaks and/or the valve will not operate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks