Loop of wire outside of boxes. Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr_Magoo

Reaction score
The carpenter framing my house says his electrician leaves a loop of wire outside of the box. I assume it is in case the drywall installers damage the wire, so more could be pulled inside the box. This is the first I have heard of this and have not wired my house that way. I can't find anything in the code that talks about extra wire outside the box only the length of wire required inside the box. Is it normal to put in a loop of wire outside the box?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Only if you work with idiots... :D just kidding, the only time I leave a little slack is at certain type of ceiling boxes, other than that, no slack required and IMO, is a waste of time and someones money...

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The centrifigal force gives the electrons a little boost just before they hit the outlet.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would only leave extra loops of wire inside the wall for low voltage stuff... doorbell buttons, the doorbell transformer, doorbell, and HVAC thermostat.

Every try to replace a doorbell button and there is not enough wire? :mad:

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
I leave extra for LV such as Networking, Telephone, or Door Bell. As for the Rough-in, I always leave extra to allow for if the box would need to be moved during the Rough In stage, or in case some slack is needed on the other end.

As for leaving behind the wall, I have only seen that with Light Fixtures, and for boxes, but only when the loop is secured behind the wall for safety.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks