Which is better???

Users who are viewing this thread

Chestnuts

DIY Member
Reaction score
Ok, as some of you might know, I have been remodeling a back room of my house. So far I have been able to get some sheetrock up on the ceiling and one wall. I used 1/2" sheetrock on the ceiling and the wall because the wall is an interior wall and had Celotex already on it.

Now my question is for the remaining 2 walls, which are exterior walls, is 1/2" ok or should I use 5/8" sheetrock like I was planning on using?? I was told that 5/8" sheetrock will provide a little better sound deadening for the outside walls. Also, these walls have brand new insulation in them.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSC000271.jpg
    DSC000271.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 336
  • Back room sheet rock on house wall.jpg
    Back room sheet rock on house wall.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Sheet rock still to put up.jpg
    Sheet rock still to put up.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 326

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
5/8" typically has a better fire rating, and it might be quieter...depends somewhat on the care you use to install it.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
In genereal the thicker the sheetrock the better soundproof. Architects use multiple layers, sometimes with a resiliant channel (sheet metal Z cross section) to offset a second (or third) sheet.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Most drywallers use 5/8" for ceilings. Heat collects at the top of a room and you don't want it escaping.

Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sheetrock

ANY solid material is poor for soundproofing or insulation. The Celotex also is usually installed on the exterior of the wall not the interior. for your purposes there may be little advantage to using 5/8" material.

Chestnuts

DIY Member
Reaction score
Just remember that the Celotex is only there because that wall USED to be the outside of the house. When this room was enclosed, they put stucco over the top of the siding. I have taken the stucco and the original siding off. If I removed the Celotex, I would have a couple of issues (notice the thick wooden boards arouind the opening under the house??) . It was just easier to just leave the Celotex up and put new sheetrock on top of it.

Pictures are in order from how the wall looked to start. Then after removing horrible paneling and stucco to reveal the original house siding. Then removing siding to reveal the Celotex. The studs in the first picture are where there used to be a window into the kitchen that was closed up when the kitchen was remodeled in Nov/Dec 2006.

Attachments

• IMGA0587.JPG
    IMGA0587.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 302
  • IMGA0597.JPG
    IMGA0597.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 304
  • back of house with opening to under house.jpg
    back of house with opening to under house.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 295
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks