Newbie: Woke up to loud pump and no water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

galaxie1967

Reaction score
I have an above ground Craftsman 3/4 hp pump and had the sprinklers running last night. Woke up to unusual sounding pump (sounds air bound) and found one of the sprinkler heads had popped off, possibly causing the problem. I've heard the pump make this sound before when to many faucets and/or sprinklers zones are running and the pump can't keep up with demand.

The pump is set at 40/60, but the gauge was reading 70 when I shut off power to the pump. No water pressure in the house, even with prsssure showing on the gauge.

I believe the pump is either air bound and/or has lost prime or some other issue? Would like to try and fix myself, but i have never primed a pump or dealt with a bladder tank.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jeff

Speedbump

Reaction score
The noise you are hearing is cavitation. The Pump is noisy because it can't keep up with demand. Those plastic Pumps sound like that brand new out of the box. You may have lost the prime. Simply loosen the plug on top of the plug and pour water in until it is full. Replace the plug a few turns and start the motor. Air should bubble out until the Pump primes.

bob...

galaxie1967

Reaction score
Thanks Bob! Been staring at it all morning. Did exactly as you said (my plug on top is actually where my gage is), loosened the gage while running and boy did she let off some air. Works like a champ.

The pump was replaced by the previous owner two years ago (just before I bought the place) and he had a 1 HP pump in there, but said it would shut on and off while the sprinklers were on. This one runs pretty constant at 45 psi and stays on continuously while the sprinklers are running and have heard that a continuous running pump is better than having one starting and stopping so often, which is why he replaced it. I've never had any issues with it until now.

Thanks again!!

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks