cood11b1 error problem, Help!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have windows vista and recently encountered a problem. I have no sound for anything. An error code came up cood11b1, I'm assuming this is related to my media player but I'm not sure. The only thing I've done recently is installed Norton and got rid of spy sweeper.I forgot to mention I have a HP notebook about 4 mos old. If any one can give me advise how to fix problem I can give you great plumbing advise if you need it. Thanks, Master Plumber 101.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Norton Antivirus is a virus!

Don't viruses make your computer run slow and have errors?

Isn't that what Norton does?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Recently, Bill Gate's boys "pushed" Vista SP1 to me via automatic updates. Prior to doing that, they mentioned a fairly long list of "known issues" following SP1, including some involving sound and video cards. I would check microsoft dot com for info, especially if you have received SP1.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
LOL Microsoft has SP1 out for Vista already!:rolleyes:
If Am. Std. was in the software business they would be Microsoft!:eek:

So is Vista a Cadet 3 or, a Champion 4?:rolleyes:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will try that site. I was messing around with my device manager in my control panel and got sound to work for a short period. This is frustrating!

StrawberryBlonde

Web and graphics designer.
Reaction score
Yay, finally a topic on these forums that I'm qualified to reply to! LOL

The best thing to do to fix the problem is to work backwards.

Start by uninstalling the Norton software. Once it's uninstalled, reboot the computer and pick a restore point from PRIOR to the date that you installed Norton. Restore back to that date, then reboot again.

Does the sound card work once you do that?

If not, then on to the next step.

Go to the Device manager to see what sound card is installed on your pc. Alternately, you can check the software disks that came with the pc for the brand.

Once you have the name, go to their website and do a search for software driver updates. For instance, if you use a realtek soundcard, head to realtek's site....and so on.

Download the drivers and any other software updates they offer, then install them, following the instructions carefully.

Reboot your pc again and check to see if that corrects the issue.

If you still don't have sound, post again and we'll head to the next step, ok?

SB

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks S. B.

Thanks for the info. I made the first step already by uninstalling norton. I will try to restore and reboot at the point before I installed Norton 8/13/08. Thanks again. I will update you on post. :):):)

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually the disk drive appears to be fine. I did not fully check it last time I responded to you. What do you suggest S.B. for virus protection.( Any thing other than Norton!) Hope to hear from you soon.:):):):)

StrawberryBlonde

Web and graphics designer.
Reaction score
Anti-virus software... =)

Welp, it all depends on whether or not you're using the built in Microsoft virus protection that came loaded with Vista.

If you've turned that off (and I always do), then I'd highly recommend AVG. You can download the free version. Don't bother paying for the supposedly "full" version. It's a waste of time and money. The free version works well, updates it's virus definition files regularly and isn't as intrusive and memory hogging as either the Micrososft Antivirus or Norton.

Along with AVG, you'll also want to download Lavasoft AdAware and Spybot S&D to clean up your hard drive once a week. All of them are free to download. :)

Are you using Microsoft's Firewall? I know that my husband likes it and I'm not so thrilled with it (what a pain to constantly have to say yes to everything before you can open a page!).

If you like it, keep using it...it's reliable. If you hate it, let me know and I can recommend a couple of other programs that do a good job and aren't as intrusive.

SB

PS Glad to hear the drive is healthy! :D

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
SB,
I do use Microsoft's firewall. It's annoying but I can manage that. I do have the software that came with vista turned off, but was using spysweeper before I thought I should try Norton. Maybe I could go back to that or try one of your suggestions. Thanks again. Keep in touch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks