Filler Unit Available Between Tile and Shower Eschutcheon

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnW

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the post part, but have been using this site as a reference for preping and installing a new new ceramic tile in an old bathrom that has been torn out.

After the tear out was completed, I hired a plumber to intall a new Am Std (Model 1041.229.099) shower/bath fixture. I was not at home when it was installed and never thought to ask a question about the position of the roughed in fixture since installation directions were with the fixture I've temporarily installed the worderboad and shimed it out so that it's level with the exisiting walls. However, I've noticed that there's about a 1/2" gap (estimate) between what will be the finished ceramic tile wall and the back of the escutcheon. I've not pemanently installed anything (other than the fixture). Is there anything such as a filler that can be bought that will fill this space or must the plumber reinstall the fixture?

Thanks.

JohnW

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The thickness of the wonderboard and tile is something that you and the plumber should have discussed prior to the installation of the valve. Do you have possible access through the wall from the backside?

JohnW

Reaction score
Dear Redwood,

Thanks for the follow-up. The wonderboard has not been permanently attached so if the plumber must remove and reinstall it's no big deal other than removing the backerboard (three screws) and re-plumbing the fixture. I was just hoping there might be a simpler option.

JohnW

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know what good an extension would do if there is a 1/2" gap between the wall and the escutchion...
Maybe we could turn it into a 2 1/2" gap!:eek:

How is the mixer mounted? What will it take to move it back further?
It may be possible to just undo the mounting and remount further back.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Usually you can get away with mounting the valve too deep in the wall, but if it is too shallow there are few companies that make adapters to repair that. Get the instrutions for the valve and see what the maximum/minimum dimensions are from the finished surface of the wall to the center of the valve. If yours is within those dimensions you do not have a problem. If not, then it is a lot easier to relocate the valve and the plumber should do it as a courtesy, unless you told him the wrong wall thickness.

JohnW

Reaction score
hj,

Thanks. I've got a call into the plumber. I'll get it corrected one way or the other. Based on your experience, any major issues (other than some sort of regular inspections) with filling a small gap (less than 1/8") with silcone?

As a FYI, I was not at home when it was installed and made no recommendations about spacing one way or the other.

JohnW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Being home when the valve was installed was not necessary. Telling the plumber how thick the wall was going to be was very necessary. Originally the space sounded like it was a lot more than 1/8" but even that will make an unsightly installation if it has to be filled with caulking.

JohnW

Reaction score
hj,

Again thanks. When I initally measured the space I forgot to allow for the thinset thickness plus these is some movement in the valve. This reduced the spacing to this apporximate 1/8". Plumber is coming tomorrow and says he will adjust as required. Hopefully, I'll be installing tile this week-end.:)

JohnW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks