Leaky tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

JHPIV

Reaction score
I just installed a new drain cover into a recently reglazed 1927 tub. I put the rubber gasket between the drain pipe and the underside of the tub. I put plumbers putty between the drain flange and the bottom (reglazed side) of the tub. To make a long story short... it leaked. Did I just not put enough puty in? I screwed it tight so the rubber gasket should have sealed it even if the putty didn't but I had a drip coming through the light fixture downstairs after my wife took her shower this morning. It is definitely coming from the drain. Is there a trick to this that I do not know? :confused:

JHPIV

Reaction score
Not Enough Putty!!!

:eek: OK this is why i ususally pay a professional plumber to do this sort of thing. I removed the screw-in drain flange and discovered that indeed there was a part where the putty had slid over and bunched up, leaving a gap in the seal. I applied LOTS more putty, and reinstalled the flange, and leak tested it with a 1/2 full tub. NO MORE LEAKS!!!
Word to the wise, from the dumb and inexperienced: Always use more putty than you possibly think you will need. let the excess squish out (technical term I think). Thanks for listening. I'll be back when I shart the kitchen this summer, unless something happens between now and then :p Which, with a 78 year old house is always possible! :D

JustAnyone

Reaction score
Website
justanyone.com
How Much Putty? How Much to Tighten?

I have a similar problem now. On a newly installed bathtub, I'm putting in a PVC drain "shoe" that has a rubber gasket and a metal screw-in drain. There are leaks. I've used plumber's putty. I've tightened it with a wrench.

By the way, I'm using the handles of an adjustable wrench fit down into the strainer/drain and I use a big monkey wrench to turn the handles to tighten the drain shoe. It works nicely but I know there are better solutions.

My questions are:

1. I put tons of putty in and almost all of it squeezed out.
2. I tightened this assembly and I'm wondering if I can tighten it so hard the gasket deforms? I'm worried about breaking the tub (Americast), too, though that seems unlikely since I'm exerting a symmetric pressure on the drain area.

Of course, breaking it now while its still not completely installed is better than doing so later when I get the surround installed. The question is important though - how tightly can I tighten down on the basket / drain shoe?

What if the water is leaking past the threads on of the PVC shoe instead of past the gasket?

Can I put plumber's putty on the gasket or is that a bad idea? What about a layer of it on the drain shoe where the gasket meets it?

I've tried teflon tape on the pipe threads, too, to no avail....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks