(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Running a ground wire in conduit to plumbing

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member Juan for the road's Avatar

Default Running a ground wire in conduit to plumbing

I would like to run a ground wire in conduit(with other conductors) to a surge protected device.How can I go from the conduit to a plumbing ground clamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Juan for the road View Post
    I would like to run a ground wire in conduit(with other conductors) to a surge protected device.How can I go from the conduit to a plumbing ground clamp?
    you wanna explain exactly what your trying to do and accomplish? mostly the accomplish part.

I need to run a 8ga ground to an electronic control panel for it's required surge protection.Requires a ground rod or plumbing meter ground.I want to run this ground and the hot,neutral conductors in the same conduit,as the feeds will be passing past the water meter on the way to the electronic control panel anyway.

Just want to be sure of a code compliant way to Tee out of the conduit to make this connection to the water meter ground clamp

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

The bonding conductor that is to land on the grounding electrode system does not have to be installed in a raceway unless it is subject to physical damage.

Should you decide to install the conductor in a pipe and that pipe is a metal raceway then the metal raceway will need to be bonded to this conductor on both ends. This can entail a lot of extra work and expense.

If in your opinion the conductor needs to be protected then install it in a nonmetallic raceway and the requirement to bond to the raceway is lifted.

By installing a junction box you can then exit the raceway via the box.

Yes physical harm of the wire is a concern.
    The feeds are to feed out of a GFCI receptacle in a surface mounted 4" steel box.

Am I permitted to run NMT(PVC) conduit straight out of this box?

This box is located in a mechanical room with fire-rated drywall and doors and the surface mounted conduit is all EMT.

I would like to transition from EMT out of this room to NMT,but I would prefer to do this outside of this room.

Yes,the water supply for the ground wire is in close proximity to the GFCI receptacle/steel box.
    Last edited by Juan for the road; 08-11-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added info

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Is this residential or commercial?